seattleworm

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I installed my engine a few days ago, but just realized that I put the washers in the wrong order at bottom Lord mounts. Plan calls out the lord washer on the engine side, while AN970 washer on the aft side. Lord washer looks slightly thicker than the AN970 washer, but I can see the lord mount still can sit flat over engine (barely though, I have Lycoming IO-360-M1B). Wondering if this will cause any long term concern due to engine vibration. I dont' worry much about AN970 being smaller than the lord washer because AN970 wash is in contact with entire flat surface of the engine mounting tab. AN970 washer is 0.109" thick. Anyone know the thickness of the lord washer? Couldn't find it anywhere, and I don't have uninstalled one to measure it.

Putting the nut and cotter pin to the bolts is a pain, only want to do it if absolutely necessary.

Shawn,

FWIW, the very first thing my DAR looked at was the lower mounts to make sure they were correct.

I would think that you could change out each bolt one at a time without a lot of trouble. If you are uncomfortable with the current method not following the plans, then you will sleep better if you correct it. At least that was the strategy I built to.

Will make it per plan

After thinking about it, it really took two guy about 2 hour to install the engine (of course with cursing ...), it shouldn't take that long for me to switch the washer. I will switch the order just for the peace of mind. Guess I just need to do it instead of thinking about it and getting intimidated.

You don't need to pull the engine!

Like Bill says, just change out one washer at a time. You may have to loosen the other bolts a little but no need to remove more than one at a time.

Back out the bolt just enough to clear the washer and wriggle it out.

I feel your pain!

It took me 1.5 hours to install my engine. That's 1/2 hour X 3, because I screwed up the washers the first two rounds. All I did was smile and laugh each time:). It's an airplane engine......

My mantra for times of self induced frustration:

"It's a hobby. I'm doing this for education and entertainment."

If there's someone else in the hangar, I give them permission to point and laugh:D

I did the same thing, replace them one at a time and it's really not that bad, took me less than an hour.

Yes - go ahead and bite the bullet and do it.

Feeling good now

It took me slightly over an hour to swap the washers, 1/3 of the time is to take the cotter pins out (if I ever do it again, it will take no time. Once I figured out I can actually rotate the bolt to orientate the pin in a convenient way, I can just pull the pin out easily. Well, that's part of the learning). Now I have one less thing to worry about. Not sure if it is just me, I really need more "just do it" attitude.