KJP

Hi Folks,

For a shop-made Pitot tube head assembly, I need to attach an AN832-4D (1/4") bulkhead fitting through a sheet of 0.032" 2024-T3. The Pitot head assembly (including the AN832 and the down tube, which is bent forward to receive the ram air) needs to be firmly attached to the substrate sheet so that it doesn't tend to rotate with wind side loads & vibration.

My question is relative, only, to the mechanical attachment through the .032" substrate.

Do I need to use a washer, of some sort (star, fiber, soft aluminum, or steel) between the AN924 attachment nuts and the 0.032" aluminum sheet substrate in order to tighten the said nuts sufficiently to hold the AN832 bulkhead fitting rotationally rigid? Or, should I use something like blue LocTite on the attachment nut threads?

Are the AN924 nuts sufficient to bind the fitting rigidly in place? Are they used without washers? I've looked & looked and have not found whether the nuts are customarily used with washers (of some type).

I have considered riveting a reinforcement/back-up patch of 0.032" onto the substrate to reinforce it, and then just really tighten the nuts upon the material.

This question is not relative to an RV aircraft, but as you know, everyone comes here for good advise.

Thank you for your help.

They hold fine on their own. It’s an aluminum nut on an aluminum fitting, this in itself provides sufficient friction to hold your fitting. No need to get it tractor tight either. Just beyond snug for a bulkhead arrangement like this.