FlyBoy8

The plans call for a #28 drill for the AN507-6R6 screws that attach the W-822 access plates to the spar platenuts (K1000-06).

I have a #27 drill in my tool kit from Cleaveland and the cleaveland cheatsheet shows a #27 drill for fiinal size for an AN509-6 screw.

Is it OK to use the slightly larger (.1440) here in place of the #28 (.1405)?

I went to my local Ace HW. They had numbered bits, but were out of the #28 of course. Thankfully Aircraft Spruce is only 20 minutes away. They had them.

Never tried a reamer. Sounds complicated. :)

I went to my local Ace HW. They had numbered bits, but were out of the #28 of course. Thankfully Aircraft Spruce is only 20 minutes away. They had them.

Never tried a reamer. Sounds complicated. :)

Reamers are basically precise bits. The flutes run along the shaft. Since there's several cutting edges, they make perfectly round holes exactly to dimension.
Most standard drill bits make a triangular shaped hole slightly bigger than spec. I drill a size under and run a reamer through for all holes if possible.

The plans call for a #28 drill for the AN507-6R6 screws that attach the W-822 access plates to the spar platenuts (K1000-06).

I have a #27 drill in my tool kit from Cleaveland and the cleaveland cheatsheet shows a #27 drill for fiinal size for an AN509-6 screw.

Is it OK to use the slightly larger (.1440) here in place of the #28 (.1405)?

YES!! Use it!!
There is no way that 0.0035" larger diameter on the body clearance diameter for a flat head screw is going to make your plane fall out of the air.

For a panel cover, I would not sweat it but you'll need the #28 again and why not use the right size, if you don't live in the middle of Alaska where it takes dog sleds to get tools. :D

In case you wanted to see it written twice: #27 work just fine. That's all I used for mine. I also pulled out my RV8 manual and no where does it mention the need for #28 drill, but does have # 27 drill referenced as required and many 6 screws used.

Yep, Like the pros said - - #28 is perfect for one hole that will be threaded, but when there are many, it often takes a #27 to allow all the screws to insert and start nicely. If you were using a structural screw without threads at the shear area (like and AN bolt) then yes, maybe it would make a difference, but the vast majority of screws we use have threads to the base, i.e. not using the shear loads anyway.

Now you can use your judgement.