LimaDelta

I'm New Here
Couldn't find an intro thread so I thought here will do as it is an 8 I'm planning on building. Been toying with the idea of building for a few years now, and have finally taken the plunge - well, at least gone as far as kiting out the workshop and preparing to order the first few bits. Can't wait to get started. I considered a few other a/c, but always came back to Vans, and in particular the RV-8.

I've been lurking on here a while now, and digested several of the excellent build blogs, and think I am finally ready. I'm expecting a 5-7 year build realistically. I am an engineer (not a/c) by trade, but haven't much experience of Al. I think I should do ok, but want to take my time to get everything right.

Mission profile - well, in the UK kits are day VFR only, but I will build for night in the hope the rules change at some point. I have a rough plan for the panel, but five years is a long time, and am not going to firm up the order until much nearer the time. I reckon the 180hp fixed pitch option will work for me, possibly FI if the budget allows.

I am also considering the Showplanes fastback conversion, and going tail-wheel. Lots of other little ideas, but again for further down the line.

Anyway, that'll do for now. I'm sure I'll be picking a few brains on here as the build progresses. Donation paid and ready to go!

RV-8

Welcome:

The -8 is the best of the lot as far as I'm concerned. (Tail wheel of course!) 180hp carbureted fixed pitch is the common "bullet proof" configuration.

I ended up with a 200hp injected engine because I ran into a deal I couldn't turn down. I found a good used constant speed prop fresh from overhaul for not much more money than a new fixed pitched prop. Now I'm totally thrilled with that combination. I actually burn less fuel flying loose formation on trips than a friend with the same airplane and a 180hp carbed engine.

One thing you'll soon find out is, you'll get different answers and opinions from almost everyone who answers your questions. Take some of them with a "grain of salt".

The best advise that I can give you is build what you want to see when you open the hangar door. Don't let others influence what you really want. When you dicide, (and things evolve as you build), do some form of work on the project EVERY DAY. Doesn,t matter what it is, do something every day toward finishing the plane. Don't be like the jogger who skips a day of jogging----it's easier to skip the next day!;)

do some form of work on the project EVERY DAY. Doesn,t matter what it is, do something every day toward finishing the plane. Don't be like the jogger who skips a day of jogging----it's easier to skip the next day!;)

I wish I could, however I work overseas for half the year, and have a 17 month old at home. The way the O/H and I have agreed it will be one full day of work per week. (plus a couple of sneaky, non-noisy hours whenever I can). Not ideal I know, but you have to take what you can get.

That said, there will be plenty of time on non-building days when I can be researching/reading/planning/problem solving/generally daydreaming about the project. :)

Welcome to VAF. A lot of great people and support here. Any questions just ask and plenty answers will come. Happy building!!

Bird