Firstlight

Hello Folks,

I had an interesting evening tonight. I've been having some mixture related problems with my "new to me" RV4. I arranged to take a day off work to fly and wrench all day, with big hopes of getting the carb set up and my mixture issues dialled in. A day off with the boss's blessing and great weather. What a luxury! But of course I had to get "just one thing" done first, and the entire day got wasted dealing with customs and tax issues, finally making it out to the airport a bit after 6:00 PM. Gary Wilcox was out there with his super cool (and fast) 200 HP RV7. I was green with envy that he was warming up while I was opening hangar doors.

I hauled the airplane out, pre-flighted it, poured in a quart of oil and got it lit. The wind was favouring runway 23, but I opted for the much longer 27 just in case. I made a couple of circuits, experimenting with mixture and throttle response, etc. Nothing seemed to be going my way: the flaps jumped out of the second notch on short final, just as the screw backed itself out of the well-worn ball on my canopy-opening latch and everything fell out. "Fly the plane, Wayne. Fly the plane!"

I taxied back, took off and climbed in a steep arc into the downwind in that beautiful way that only an RV4 can. But when I pulled the throttle back, it would not come back past the half-way point. It was physically jammed against something, and pulling back any harder felt like the wrong thing to do. I was stuck with about 1900 RPM with carb heat on and about 10 pounds of back-pressure in my hand, and was having a very hard time getting slowed down. I circled the field and climbed slowly while thinking about my options. I did not want to open the throttle in case whatever was jamming it got worse. Eventually I hauled the nose up steeply to scrub off some speed, and try to get below flap speed. I had to let go of the throttle to pull on flaps, and that increased the RPM enough to make the whole operation a bit of a left-handed fuster cluck. I had visions of accident investigators looking into my smoking crater and scratching their heads...

Anyway, I eventually had to kill the engine and land dead stick. It was, as always seems to be the case, my absolute best landing ever in the airplane, and I rolled off at the intersection and coasted up towards Gary's hangar. I got myself ready for a runaway throttle, and re-started the airplane. It idled beautifully. Curious and curiouser!

Anyway, after a walk and guffaw session to settle my jangled nerves, I started back up ready for anything, and taxied easily to my hangar. I pulled the cowls, and noticed a missing cowling pin. Where did I find it? Stuck in the intake!

God obviously protects drunks, fools and pilots.

Cheers,

WBK

Good job getting back down safely AND without damaging the plane! Nice write-up of your situation also that we all can learn something from.

Way to think through the problem, fly the airplane, and come up with a good ending Wayne! This is exactly the kind of thing I counsel folks to be ready for during the early flights in any homebuilt - new, or just new to them. The problem is rarely a major failure where the wing falls of, but something small that can be handled easily with a little thought (and good flying) if it is recognized and dealt with in a calm and collected manner - just like you did.

Paul

If your flying is as good as your writing ...

If your flying is as good as your writing you are an excellent pilot. I saw Mr. Wilcox's speed in the Rocket 100 at Taylor Texas last November and I am envious also.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for the comments, folks

Hey Group:

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, I am a much better writer than I am a pilot.

The community of RV-folks was very obvious to me last evening. I walked up to Gary's hangar with wobbly knees, and 10 minutes later I felt much better about life in general. Did I mention that Cor was there too, and his new '7 is about to fly? Gary stopped in at my place, and helped me debug my situation.

Yes indeedy - there are some excellent RV people in my area, and having access to that wealth of mechanical experience and accumulated wisdom is a wonderful thing.

Tom - I'm chasing my tail this AM, but I will call you this PM for sure.

Cheers,

Wayne BK

................Unfortunately, I am a much better writer than I am a pilot. ...............

I walked up to Gary's hangar with wobbly knees, and 10 minutes later I felt much better about life in general.

Wayne BK

You got wobbly knees on the ground, not in the air, and that is the proper order for sure. Instinctively you climbed when you could to give yourself time to think. You thought the problem through and successfully used the best option available. While we can all improve our piloting and writing skills, seems to me both of yours are pretty **** good.

Congrats on a nice dead stick landing.

Maybe time to have your RV buddies take a real close look at the plane.

Last edited:
Time for a break from flying

I had an interesting evening tonight. I've been having some mixture related problems with my "new to me" RV4.

Very nice job of resolving a problem "on the fly"! :)

I don't know the background of your plane, but I have to wonder if it might be a good idea to ground it until you and/or an experienced RVer have given the plane a total and complete exam end to end. I mean every nut, bolt, cotter pin, wrinkle and mole, and resolve all squawks found. When things start falling off airplanes, it means some tender lovin' care is needed. After this inspection, not only will there be less likelihood of another airborne emergency, but you will know your "new" plane much better and have much more confidence in it.

Congrats on the new RV-4 and best wishes for many enjoyable hours!

Last edited:
Great report, Wayne.

A cowl pin stuck in the intake, that's got to a first.

Good job flying the airplane and dealing with the event.

Is it possible to clarify....

....exactly where the pin was stuck? Seems it has to get by the air filter first??

By the way....a big congrats on a cool head!

Best,

Unrestricted intake, and a few more pairs of eyes...

Hi Group:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. There is no air filter on my '4. It was built that way, but it won't be staying that way... The ironic thing is that I was just laughing with a friend about catching parts in air filters (he flies an 0-320 powered R22 helicopter). I told him I was going to fit one, but it was sort of a "when I get around to it" project.

Well, that one has been bumped up the "to do" list!

I received a call from our resident RV expert (and fastest Rocket Guy) Tom Martin this morning. He very kindly offered to come out and spend some time looking over my baby to see what needs improving. What a great opportunity for me...

Cheers,

Wayne

I received a call from our resident RV expert (and fastest Rocket Guy) Tom Martin this morning. He very kindly offered to come out and spend some time looking over my baby to see what needs improving. What a great opportunity for me...

Cheers,

Wayne

That is a great idea. It never hurts to have a few extra "sets of eyes" on a new to you airplane. One dead stick landing per aviation career is enough.