Vlad

Well Known Member
I need a handle on passenger side. Often I fly with a passenger through an airspace which is very turbulent. Here to be exact

DSC_0009-1.jpg

It's always bouncy over East River. Couple days ago a 200#+ human autopilot was driving from right seat. He was strapped tight but turbulence made him uncomfortable. He often moved his hand from the throttle to here

DSC_0011.jpg

I have a tip up that area is very flimsy and his grip was steel. Could easy twist aluminum. I need an idea where to put a handle for passenger. It's not first time right seater is looking for a grip especially when stick is removed. Any pictures appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the hardware store (Aviation Dept.) and found a chrome drawer pull that just fit my wife's hand.
Mounted it to the right side of the panel. Been working great for years.

F704k

I think the face of the F-704K cap strip would be a logical place to mount a handle. Although the Classic Aero interior may create some challenges here.

I will cut you a piece of deer antler and you can bolt that on. You would be the only person with an RV with an antler handle!

I will see what I can come up with. It would probably work with epoxy forced int the center of the antler to hold a sleeve. I will look into it and see what works. It may turn out pretty cool!

I will see what I can come up with. It would probably work with epoxy forced int the center of the antler to hold a sleeve. I will look into it and see what works. It may turn out pretty cool!

Rocky,

I made a set of steak knives with deer antler handles epoxied to the shank of the blade. They lasted about 10 years, until too many trips through the dishwasher destroyed the antler. Probably not an issue with an RV.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Jim, good info. I think it may work. I need to figure out where Vlad wants to put it and then just make it work! It should be interesting and I can use his plane as a test for my plane!

The other day I found 13 sheds including 3 sets. all in about 2 hours. I haven't found any since! Fly on up one of these days and go fishing. The trout were looking pretty good in the river this afternoon.

Last edited:
What about mounting one of these to the same point where the crotch strap attaches, or to the front of the spar?

pic64.jpg

090529_poignee_ejection_handle_phantom.jpg

I think the face of the F-704K cap strip would be a logical place to mount a handle. Although the Classic Aero interior may create some challenges here.

That's what I did with a hardware store handle and a set of rivnuts. Works great for Julia in turbulence. Worth putting a bit of insulation on the handle and the cap strip, othewise the aluminum can get pretty cold in winter.

Greg

I think Rocky has the perfect solution for Vlad. I mean, what could possibly go wrong with this ?!

20130320-113217.jpg

Last edited:
Glen, that is almost exactly what I was thinking - it gives a couple places to grab if needed. And if you don't grab it, it will grab you!

Jim, good info. I think it may work. I need to figure out where Vlad wants to put it and then just make it work! It should be interesting and I can use his plane as a test for my plane!

The other day I found 13 sheds including 3 sets. all in about 2 hours. I haven't found any since! Fly on up one of these days and go fishing. The trout were looking pretty good in the river this afternoon.

Rocky,

If you have any antler pieces that you are not going to sell to the Chinese, our dogs love them as chews. We flew the -10 to Leadville last week, on a beautiful cloudless day. No trout fishing there this time of year, but we did see two unmarked, stealth helicopters working the area. Not a type I had ever seen before. Forgot to take the camera.

Jim Berry
RV-10

here you go...