pierre smith

Well Known Member
A local friend of mine has old hotrods...55 Chevy, crotch rocket Kawasaki and he won't run mogas with ethanol.

He takes a modified 55 gallon drum to the gas station with 5 gallons of water in it and then buys 40 gallons of mogas. The water attracts the alcohol, just like in the test and becomes 9 gallons of water/alcohol mix (10% alcohol is 4 gallons, plus the 5 gallons of water).

He added a drain valve that lets the water/alchy mix out until he sees/smells gas...pretty simple really.

Best,

and then the remaining fuel is of a much lower grade than originally, right? Does he put any of that fuel in high compression engines?

Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline, as you suggested, but acts as an octane booster, I understand. So removing it would tend to lower the octane of the remaining gasoline.

i believe it is like david said. here is a quote that somewhat shows the numbers underlying the problem with trying to remove ethanol at home

"# It is obvious that there is an economic incentive for terminals to blend ethanol, the direct tax credit. But there is another more subtle and insidious incentive for refineries to get all of their distributors to blend E10. Once that happens they can ship "suboctane" gasoline to the terminals. Since blending ethanol at 10% or higher raises the Anti Knock Index (AKI) by more than 3 points, refineries can produce and ship 84 AKI gasoline for regular unleaded E10 blending. This is already happening in Oregon. They can also ship 89 AKI gasoline for premium unleaded blending. Suboctane gasoline costs less to produce and more product results from every barrel of oil.
# The most acute problem for aviation is that if the premium unleaded is taken suboctane, when all gasoline is E10, there will be no 91+ AKI unleaded gasoline made, which is required for 100 HP Rotax LSA engines and Petersen high compression STCs."

from the e0pc.com web page talking points

What does he do with the nine gallons of water/ethanol?

Just say no to the ethanol scam.

Oregon etonol free

It seems the Peoples Republic of Oregon has seen fit to sell ethanol free high octane gas at the pump. My recollection is that ethanol is added at the distribution site. If one can get to these locations can we purchase ethanol free gas? I seem to recall there is an airport at El Paso that sells mogas ethanol free as they buy from a local refinery.

Just a note of caution..........

Ever wonder how a little water gets in the bottom of your mower's gas can? :confused:

I'm not sure that mixing water with gas is a good thing, at least for airplanes. Gas can hold up to a tea spoon of water per gallon in solution (without ethanol) and release it when it gets cold. So you use water to rid the fuel of ethanol (yes, this will work, but.....) and add water to the gas that will separate when the fuel gets cool / cold at altitude. This can be an issue for mogas (or 100LL) in the fall and everyone using it needs to be aware of possible water contamination during cold weather. Use only fresh fuel and sump those tanks before every flight!

JMHO.

Just to confirm ethanol cannot be transported in the pipelines (too corrosive to old pipes) and must be added to the fuel at the distribution center. Ethanol is now metered very closely (depending on the equipment) where as a few years ago it was "dump and pray" you were close to 10%. In the old days 5-15% was not uncommon. You may be able to buy "no ethanol" fuel, but the minimums are usually 500 gallons. Call around and talk to the bulk fuel delivery companies in your area. Also, call farm fuel suppliers in your area. Here they will deliver 300 gallon mins, but if I go there I can get 100 gallons at a time, no ethanol. Obviously, this will vary from state to state, but it is worth the call. You may need to invest in a 100 gallon tank, but it is an investment that will pay back very quickly. You will need to become VERY anal about storeing your aviation fuel, note the dual filter set up on mine, and I sump the tank once a week. Before I fill the plane I run 3-4 gallons back into the tank to clear the hoses of possible contamination, I replace the filters, and hoses once a year. You'll have to spend a few buck to maintain your equipment, but that is nothing new.

fuel_tank.JPG

Yes, I have painted the trailer since this photo. :p

Last edited:
Just a note of caution..........

Another note of caution... some states have strict regulations on hauling large amounts of gasoline without certified tanks and commercial permits/licenses. I seem to remember reading about some hapless boat owner, I think from Florida, that was arrested and charged with a felony crime for hauling a couple hundred gallons in an unapproved tank to his boat.

It seems the Peoples Republic of Oregon has seen fit to sell ethanol free high octane gas at the pump. My recollection is that ethanol is added at the distribution site. If one can get to these locations can we purchase ethanol free gas? I seem to recall there is an airport at El Paso that sells mogas ethanol free as they buy from a local refinery.

red carpet in bend next to Bofa and taco bell has eth free, i think it was 3.75 just a couple days ago. i've heard there are some other places, oh the powell butte store has it. i think there are some in redmond also

http://pure-gas.org/
Go to this websight to find pure gas. There are others also if you get to checking around

Vern
Thanks for the website vector. I have added our airport.... McPherson KS, KMPR to the list. We have 87 octane, ethanol free. The price has been steady at $3.60/gal for about four months. I personally test every delivery from our wholesaler and run it in my RV4.

transporting mo gas

110 gallons is the max without having a hazmat license.
If you buy a fuel tank for the back of a pickup like I do there all built for 110 gallons.
Vern

110 gallons is the max without having a hazmat license.
If you buy a fuel tank for the back of a pickup like I do there all built for 110 gallons.
Vern

My tank is a 100 gallon diesel tank. No issues for over 10 years.