hammer408

Im to the stage of installing the brake lines and brake hoses in my 9A. My questions are rather straight forward.

1st - What type of "dope" can you put on the AN fitting threads. I know for the fuel line fittings, I used "fuel lube", and I was told NOT to use this for brake fittings.

Obviously when it comes to putting together the nylon fittings and tubing, NOTHING is used, CORRECT ????

2nd - Im thing about making my own brake lines rather than use Van's pre-made lines that go from the rudder pedal to the firewall support. I want to use Aeroquip hoses, but not sure if I should get Aeroquip 701 SS, which is used for the fuel lines, or go with Aeroquip 666, which is a medium pressure Teflon hose with SS outer cover !!!

Any help or suggestions welcome

Hank
Pittsburgh, Pa
N918HB (reserved):cool:

my experience with brake lines

I was just making a list of parts to replace the plastic/nylon lines on my plane.

I used the nylon and plastic lines and fittings supplied with the kit on my RV-4. It has about 350 hours on it. The plastic tubing was a constant problem at the elbow fitting into the brake caliper. It was a constant seep I think due to the heat cycles. I replaced the brass hardware with AN fitting and aeroquip hose to aluminum tube on the gear legs. It still has plastic tube from brake cylinder to the gear leg. This has worked well for last 100+ hours.

Now the lines from the resevoir to the cylinders has been giving me trouble. I tighten the elbow on the cylinder and 6 months later it is loose again.( and leaking)

I am going to install aeroquip hose and AN fittings on the resevoir end of things.

This is the one area of the kit I was not impressed with.

good luck

Can you say "Bonaco" ?

I know they're not sponsors of VAF yet (Hint, Hint Brett?), but I can't say enough good things about the brake lines Bonaco made up for me. Their fittings are flawless. This setup cost me somewhere around 100 bucks if I rememer right; WELL worth it!

FP24102007A000KR.jpg

FP24102007A000KS.jpg

For NPT threads, use something like Locktite PST 567. It is rated for fuel, oil, hydrolic fluid, etc. It also acts as an antiseize which is really important if your assembling any stainless fittings.

AN Brake Line & Fittings

I appreciate all responses, but I plan on fabricating my own hoses, so I am still interested in feedback on either using Aeroquip 701 SS or should I go with a teflon lined SS hose like Aeroquip 666 or Stratoflex 124.........

Thanks

Henry

I appreciate all responses, but I plan on fabricating my own hoses, so I am still interested in feedback on either using Aeroquip 701 SS or should I go with a teflon lined SS hose like Aeroquip 666 or Stratoflex 124.........

Thanks

Henry

I made up new brake lines yesterday out of #4 Aeroquip teflon stainless braided hose and AN fittings. I think the teflon is the only hose recommended for use with brake fluid. This is the same hose as "666", I bought mine at a speed shop so it is branded as TFE racing hose.

The hoses look great and should last the lifetime of the plane.

I was set on building my own hoses too....I did it for all the FWF and other lines...but for those stainless -3 fittings and hose I could not do it cheaper buying the materials and they came already pressure tested...so unless your sold on doing them yourself...it's not like an interior...they are brake lines..I won't tell;)

Plastic cover

I made up new brake lines yesterday out of #4 Aeroquip teflon stainless braided hose and AN fittings. I think the teflon is the only hose recommended for use with brake fluid. This is the same hose as "666", I bought mine at a speed shop so it is branded as TFE racing hose.

The hoses look great and should last the lifetime of the plane.

Sam.. did the speed shop sell the Teflon hose version with the plastic outer cover?

gil A

Sam.. did the speed shop sell the Teflon hose version with the plastic outer cover?

gil A

Gil, it has the stainless braid on the outside of the hose. I had to use -4 because the only fittings they had in stock that fit the AN4 fittings on the plane were for -4 hose and I didn't want to mess with adapters. It worked out very nicely with a 90 on the firewall end and a straight fitting at the caliper. Total cost was less than $70.00 for four fittings and 10' of hose. The left line was about 3.5' long and the right one (I only have brakes on the left side) was nearly 6'.

Last edited:
Sam:

What racing shop did you purchase your stock hoses and fittings or did you have them made for you.

Henry

Bought the hose and fittings from CBI, a local mom and pop speed shop. You can get hose and fittings from Jegs, Summit Racing, Speedway, or a host of other online speed shops. Working your way through all the different types of hose and fittings is a learning experience but everything you need is readily available.

I assembled the brake hoses as well as all the other hoses on the plane. If you have never assembled hoses, it would be good to either get someone to assist with the first one or dig up the assembly instructions online on the vendor sites.

Thanks Sam;

By the way, what type of dope did you use on your AN threads for the brakes?

Henry

You don't use dope on the AN threads, the seal is created by the flare. A tiny bit of oil or anti-seize could be used when the hose and fittings are assembled if the threads seem to be tightening up, but I've never found that to be necessary.

Criag, I'm going to order a set of brake lines like your's and was wondering about the lengths. My pedals are mounted forward maybe more than most since I'm 5-6. The back of the nylon blocks that go on the ends of the rudder pedal tubes are 6 inches from the firewall. Would you care to measure yours and see how much difference there is? Do you think there is anough extra to account for that or should I order the ones that go to the firewall a couple of inches longer? One other thing that is confusing me is how do I take out the slack in the cables since they are forward more than normal? I haven't been able to figure that out on the plans. Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:
Slack

There is enough play in the brake line kit to accommodate shorter legs. With the new design, the brake lines come out of the back of the brake fluid reservoir to the left, and then loop back to the pedals. There should be plenty of slack to accommodate this.
Also, there really isn't any difference with the rest of the brake line assembly wherever you mount your pedals. There shouldn't be any extra slack anywhere else.

Pictures of my brake / fuel lines from Bonaco

Several of you have emailed me asking for pictures of my hoses from Bonaco. I don't want to fill up this thread with big pics, so click the links and the pics will open for you:

Tank Attach
A-Gear Mount
Fuel Valve
Valve to Pump
Pump to Gascolator
Vent 1
Vent 2
Brake Pedals

This kit from Bonaco completely eliminates all of the aluminum tubing from the firewall back. It also replaces the plastic brake lines from Van's that have had mixed results. I've spent many, many hours over the past month working with Brett at Bonaco to come up with a standard kit so you'll have another option for building your fuel or brake lines. The choice is yours. Save some money and make your own alum tubes or save a bunch of time and headache and order pre-made. Once we came up with the final kit, I installed all of it in less than an hour. Of course, each set of hoses can be ordered separate, if you've already made part of it, or just want to replace part of it. Personally, I chose to replace all of my alum lines because I liked these so much more.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Bonaco now has standard kits available for the 7/7A and 9/9A brake lines and carb fuel lines. The FI fuel lines obviously would be different between the valve and the firewall because of the high pressure pump, etc.

By the way, these are teflon core, stainless steel braided, with a clear-chafe coating. This clear-chafe coating is great, since it eliminates the possibility of scratching the airframe and tearing your fingers.

Last edited:
Fitting Q.

Craig... is that a 90 degree hose fitting in the "In" side of the electric fuel pump?

The hoses do look neat - I think I will switch some of mine now the clear covering is available...

gilA

No, it's a 45 crimped right onto the end of the hose. It makes for a nice easy transition, no loss of fuel flow, and fits in place perfectly.

Parking Brake?

Craig,
I just sent an email to Bonaco and happened to think about parking brake valve. Did you put one in? I'm just to the point of starting to plumb the fuel and brakes and like the idea of the flex lines. I just didn't know if the stock kit would take into account the PB valve.

Thanks for your work on this.

Parking Brake valve

I have no idea what would be needed for a parking brake valve, since I don't have one. Where does it go? If you can send me pics of one, or scan the plans for one I can advise you better.

Parking Brake

Craig,
I just got off the phone with Brett and he's really accomodating. My intention is to put the parking brake valve in the same place and the bracket on the firewall where the lines from the pedals meet up with the lines to the gear legs. He and I both think that the stock kit will work for that set up. It may not if the valve is placed elsewhere. He told me he was waiting on the rubber grommets for the fuel lines to come in and then the kits would be complete. He has the split plastic bushings in stock already.

You two have really figured this out. Thanks for the work. I got the price for the fuel lines, but forgot to get the price for the brake lines. Do you happen to remember a ball park number on it?