ao.frog

Well Known Member
I came across this site today. It looks like they have two engines suitable for RV's: 180 and 200 HP.
108 kg engine weight is pretty good.
It says on the site that max RPM is 3200. I thought that max RPM for the traditional props where 2700? no? In that case, maybe they have another prop in their sleeve..
In any case; it'll be interesting to see how they are doing in the time to come.

It says on their site that FF kit is "under development" for RV-12 and RV-8...

Does anyone know more about these engines? For example how many are flying and for how long?

http://www.ulpower.net/

Looks like they are at S&F with their 200 HP engine...

Last edited:
Does anyone know more about these engines? .

I had a short flight in a SuperSTOL XL with the 180 HP engine last week, and it performed well. I have also flown the 100 HP model in a Zenith (a couple of years ago) - a very nice engine that I hope does well.

I poked around a bit inside a dismantled 4 cyl model at the show (very interesting!) and flew the same Super STOL as Paul. I think the six has a lot of potential for an RV installation. Verrry smooth...felt and sounded like the old O-300 Continental 6-cylinder. I liked it. Much more later, in Kitplanes.

UL engine

Wow. That's quite a change and auto gas too.
How it will compare in cost to an equivalent Lyc?
Do I read the specs correctly? 6 cylinder 200 hp engine weighs almost 100 lbs less than the equivalent Lyc 180 hp variant with exhaust.
Does it have a hollow crank version for constant speed?
Is it physically so different as to require a totally different cowl?
What about prop? Can it spin a Hartzel CS prop or will it require a special prop?
Tail Draggers will have even more CG issues to offset 100 lbs off the nose.
Exciting.

I have flown a Jabiru 3300, with 120 hp at about the same 3,300 rpm, and it pulled very well. It surprised me how well that high rpm worked.

Dave