Manchu16

Well Known Member
I am having a heck of a time trying to find 2 AN 816-6J (304 stainless) adapters for my fuel transducer install. I can find a bunch of carbon steel and 6C (303 stainless) which is apparently more brittle from what I have read here.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Material codes for AN800-AN950:
T = Titanium 6AL-4V
J = SS 304
K = SS 316
R = SS 321
S = SS 347
- = Steel (no code)
D = Aluminum 2024-T6
W = Aluminum 7075-T73
B = Brass

The most commonly available AN816 are going to be codes D Aluminum 2024 and - Steel (no code). If you MUST have SS any of them would do, they are all "CRES" or corrosion resistant steel. 316 is a bit stronger than 304 and is more corrosion resistant but for your application you would see no difference. Personally I would just go with steel for strength and not worry about the corrosion resistance.

If you must have stainless steel, industrial 37 degree to NPT fittings are available which are interchangeable with the AN816 you are looking for. For example:
1720932024203.png

If you must have stainless steel, industrial 37 degree to NPT fittings are available which are interchangeable with the AN816 you are looking for. For example:
View attachment 66478
WE typically dont keep alot of stainless adapters--they are fabulous, but IMO, somewhat overkill. A good Steel adapter will outlast the airframe. Also note that if you truely need stainless 'AN" spec adapters, they will have class 3 threads and more expensive than the more common Class 2 industrial version. Technically interchangeable. You might try here, https://military-fasteners.com/fittings/straight+pipe+to+boss+adapters/AN816-6J. Tom

Thanks all. I am not hung up on SS, but I keep reading that steel will rust. Are there different types of steel fittings? Happy to take recommendations on products to use. I just want to stay away from AL for the fuel fittings on my transducer.

The Procurement Specification MIL-F-5509 for fluid fittings calls out a cadmium plating finish for steel fittings (similar to the finish applied to AN bolts), so steel fluid fittings are not "bare" steel and the cadmium plating is for corrosion protection. Note also that for your fuel flow transducer is made of (anodized) aluminum. Steel and cadmium plated steel are very close to aluminum on the galvanic corrosion table (dissimilar metal corrosion), but aluminum and stainless steel are quite far apart on this table. So while SS by itself is corrosion resistant (due to the layer of chromic oxide that forms naturally on the surface), aluminum and SS together are susceptible to dissimilar metal corrosion.