CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am just completing my -10 wings and was putting the stock tip lights in. They are Halogen 75W bulbs. My plan is to eventually swap these for LEDs. But I wanted to get the mounts in. I took one of the bulb setups and connected it to my bench DC power supply and it didn't work. I know the power supply is good as I can hook it up to my ducksworth LE lights and it's fine. The power supply is a Pyramid 14V 10A max rating. When I connect it even just to the bulb it goes into "Protection" mode which indicates a ground fault or over draw. I am assuming it's an over draw as both new bulbs have the same problem. Thing is, these are 75W and if I do my math right, they should suck about 5.5Amps. But perhaps there is an initial surge Amperage that is exceeding my supply?

probably the in-rush current id tripping the power supply protection. You might be able to put a capacitor on the power supply output, get it charged and then hook up the lights.
Or, just use your car battery with an in-line fuse.

yeah - the inrush current for incandescent bulbs can be very high for 30-100msec. Because until the bulb warms up the resistance is near zero.