dtaylor

I am having an intermittent problem with my amperage dropping off to zero and then into the negative 30 and then negative 40 amps. This lasts for 1-2 minutes and then then the system restores to normal. I can also fix the problem by switching the alternator off and back on. My voltage reads 14.2 the whole time indicating that my alternator is still working ok.

I have a B&C LR3C-14 voltage regulator and a bone-simple single alternator conventional engine setup.

Has anybody had one of these units go bad like this?

Thanks for the advice!

Dave T.

Is this a Van's ammeter? I'm on my third one and each one failed as you describe, occasionally going full 40 neg. then finally always full neg. as long as the battery was on. It would still be a good idea to check all your connections but I haven't had good luck with some of Van's gauges.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

I am having an intermittent problem with my amperage dropping off to zero and then into the negative 30 and then negative 40 amps. This lasts for 1-2 minutes and then then the system restores to normal. I can also fix the problem by switching the alternator off and back on. My voltage reads 14.2 the whole time indicating that my alternator is still working ok.

I have a B&C LR3C-14 voltage regulator and a bone-simple single alternator conventional engine setup.

Has anybody had one of these units go bad like this?

Thanks for the advice!

Dave T.

How is the ammeter hooked up?

If it is on the battery lead, you are reading load going into and out of the battery. Normally, it will read a load while the battery is recharging after a start and then read zero when the battery is full. It could be you have the leads on the ammeter reversed. Try reversing the leads and see what it reads.

I have mine hooked up in series with the lead from the alternator. It ALWAYS reads a positive load. That load drops off as the battery is recharged.