rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I have tried to find out how much fabric or leather I would need to do the seats in my 9A. My guess is if it is 54" x 36" per yard, it would take about 2yds per seat. I don't have my plane here so I can't measure. I tried the new search options here with no luck.

I would also like to find seat cushion patterns but searching didn't give me any results. Anyone have a pattern they have used that could help me estimate how much fabric I need? I have a chance to pick up some nice faux leather for a very good price and don't want to miss out.

Thanks

Amount needed

Two cowhides for my RV-8 with enough left over to do glare shield and side panels. My patterns came with cushions from Van's and are probably available as a separate item from Van's.

Thanks Brad. I looked on the Vans site and couldn't find the pattern. I will keep looking.

Where did you get your hides?

Upholstery

If you buy the foam from Van's you'll get the pattern with it.
That's how I got them. Can't find my receipt anymore. Sorry can't tell you how much I bought. But then I made it for the -8 plus side panels so I had a bit more anyway. I made it all myself, see link below.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=93709&highlight=Upholstery&page=2

But anyway, go ahead and measure your seats and give it a little extra, that worked fine for me

Good luck, it's not that hard!!!

Thanks Mike.

I have some Zimmerman's in my ancestors. My great grandmother married a Zimmerman in northern California around 1898. She was from the Okwanuchu Indian Tribe. It was her second marriage after her first husband died. I think her husband was a miner who came west for the gold rush. Maybe somehow we are related!!

Who knows. The world is small. It's an old German name. Many dropped the last "n". Means Carpenter.
I just noticed that you already responded to my thread in February.

Are you going to sow them yourself too?
Cheers

I think I will just build the foam parts and let my daughter who is a master on the sewing machine do her magic. I looked back at your thread and remembered that I commented back then. Your seats came out great.

Thanks for the info.

Found them

I found the patterns. Call me tomorrow and we'll figure out how to get them to you. Two 8 one five 7 eight six 2 six 2. Cow hides found at a large fabric store in Houston.

The others are right on, I used two hides to do the seats in my -9 (Van's cushions) but bought a third matching hide. Later on that third hide was used by Classic Aero to cover my side panels.

One thing I did that I was very happy about was to have all the seat cushions covered separately. This has allowed me to remove the wedge for very tall passengers or put in the two extra one inch pieces on the right side for shorter passengers (Think Young Eagles). It used a little more leather and cost a little more but was well worth it.