HeliCooper

Well Known Member
Just curious if anyone has an idea of how many blind rivets are pulled. Is it worth while getting a pneumatic rivet puller or just stick with a $30 hand puller.

Thanks,

Jim

Just curious if anyone has an idea of how many blind rivets are pulled. Is it worth while getting a pneumatic rivet puller or just stick with a $30 hand puller.

Thanks,

Jim

I think all Vans blind rivets are pulled. :D

Sorry. Too easy.

Seriously though, if the 14 is like the others, then skip the pneumatic pop rivet gun. Buy a manual one with a long nose as cheaply as possible. On other SB kits such as the 7, you have to grind much of that nose away for clearance to pop some rivets. I think it was for the tanks but my memory may be off.

On the wings just pull them, very few. No need for anything other than a hand riveter for the entire RV-10 so I'm guessing the same for the 14.

I've had one of those for years and did not pull it out for the 14 wings or the entire RV-10.
Ron

hand rivet puller is sufficient, but not preferable

I suspect that there are not many pull rivets in the RV14, so the manual model is fine -- as others have already said.

However, I can't recall ever buying a tool and then thinking "Oh, I wish I hadn't bought that."

I have the Harbor freight pneumatic rivet puller mentioned above and love it. I've used it on 90% of the pull rivets so far and it is a joy to use. I would estimate that it is about 3x faster than a manual model because it takes only one light pull of the trigger and the stem is ejected automatically.

I have the HF pneumatic puller ...

...and used it only once through the entire build. My Stanley swivel-head hand puller worked easily and handily for all other locations.