Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Among many other tasks in work on the -8, I am running new wiring from the alternators to the main buss. I found that this airplane uses a current sensing dounut on both the main and standby alternators to feed the GRT displays. I would rather use a shunt in this application if possible, mainly because I have heard that they are more accurate than the dounuts, I am going to run shielded wire, and they are a cleaner installation.

Questions:

1. Can a shunt be used with the GRT displays?
2. Is there a performance advantage between the shunt/dounut I am missing?
3. Will shielded alternator wiring mess up the dounut if I decide to retain it?

Thanks

Do you...

Hi all,

.... I would rather use a shunt in this application if possible, mainly because I have heard that they are more accurate than the dounuts, I am going to run shielded wire, and they are a cleaner installation.

...really need high accuracy for this function? Do you need to know what current is flowing to a 1/10 amp?

It might be a cleaner installation, but it does add two extra failure points in each of your big wires.

The donut probably won't work on sheilded wire, but since the sheild is only grounded at one end (probably the alternator end for your installation), you could just remove the shield from the last few inches of the wire and install the donut there.

Last edited: