w1curtis

Well Known Member
There are two common ways Ammeters are wired in light aircraft; Battery Lead mode and Alternator Lead mode. Those that are use to flying Cessna's are familiar with battery lead mode. Those that fly Pipers are usually familiar with the alternator lead mode.

Some folks designing their RV electrical systems are copying designs and may not be familiar with the pros and cons with each mode. Certainly I have my preference and that has been reinforced by an in flight alternator (single) failure at night.

I'd like to hear other opinions on the merits of each.

Battery lead: Ammeter (shunt) is wired in the path from battery to buss-excluding starter. Normal indications of the ammeter is how much current is being taken by the battery in charge, or used from the battery in discharge. When the alternator fails, the indication on the ammeter is how much power (amps) is being consumed from the battery by the attached devices.

Alternator lead: Ammeter (shunt) is wired in the path from Alternator to buss. Normal indication of the ammeter is how much current is being produced by the alternator. When the alternator fails, ammeter will read zero.

My preference is for the battery lead mode since it allow you precise power management in the event of an alternator failure. You can power down devices to a specific Amp load and then monitor the voltage as a measure of battery reserve. Also it provides a good indication of battery health. When I have not flown for a while, monitoring the Ammeter after start-up, my ammeter reading may be around 5 amps, but after some tim, this slowly reduces to around 1 amp which indicates the battery is about fully charged.

Preference for Alt lead

:DI'll take the Con to the debate. My vote is for alternator lead, or LOAD meter. How hard is your alternator working? What electrical energy you are using in-flight? The only way to know is with a Alt lead Amp-meter. If there's an inop electrical item you know it when turning on or off has no affect on load. If an item is shorting or drawing too much current you know it. That could be a sign of failure. Also right after start before you turn on the electrical items you can see the battery charge and watch the amp-meter go down as the battery recovers after the start. Also one last thing to recommend the Alt Lead amp-meter is installation is easier, right off the B-lead. With the Bat lead amp-meter, the location of the shunt can be a pain. That pain is mitigated if you use a Hall-effect amp-meter, since no break in the wire is needed.

With the Bat Lead amp-meter, once the engine is running its just basically telling you how much charge your battery is taking, since all power is from the alternator. On the plus side as stated above, if you loose the alternator the Bat amp-meter will NOW give you the total load, other wise it just sits there at 1 amp or what ever the battery takes charging.

I figure I'll have an alternator most of the time, may be always if lucky. Most of the time total electrical load is on the Alt lead. I'm not going to worry about the alternator failure scenario, simply because I'm going to shed load and land. You should have a handle on the drain from your essential items anyway.

Either way its preference, mine is on the alternator. It gives more info most of the time (when the engine & alternator are running). On the ground (engine off) or in air (dead alternator) the Bat lead is more useful. There is NO right or wrong and I do get jealous when guys with the Bat Lead Amp-meter turn their elec sys on on the ground and get a wiggle out of their Amp-meter while mine reads zero (until the alternator comes alive). :D

PS: Most forget about the VOLT meter. The volt meter will tell you the amount of energy left in the battery. +12.6 volts is fully charged, less than 12.2 volts 50% left and 11.7 volts 10%. If the Alt quits the Volt meter is what I'd look at as much or more than amps.

Last edited:
Me Too, George

I have the amp meter hooked up to the alternator because I like to know what is going on with the electric system load wise. Also, if the alternator quits, a warning light comes on, the meter goes to zero and the message has been sent - find an airport and land ASAP. The battery is on board to get you to that airport.

I don't buy into managing battery load. Sure, it is good technique to reduce the load, but there's no way of knowing how long it (they) will last. Theoritically, one can do the math on it, but the condition of the battery is unknown and to fly past one airport for another because the battery should last is folly....."but I should have had 5 amp hours remaining" won't cut it at the hearing.

This of course assumes an IFR flight or with the electric Subaru. VFR and 2 mags, press on, subject Captain's discretion. :)

I'm battery mode, with a seperate voltage meter & low voltage light.

Of course this subject is highly debated throughout various aircraft forums. Just a lot of personal opinions with no clear winners! :D

L.Adamson

I'm battery mode, with a seperate voltage meter & low voltage light.

Of course this subject is highly debated throughout various aircraft forums. Just a lot of personal opinions with no clear winners! :D

L.Adamson

Heavy metal machines use alternator (generator) load systems, it is the only way to know what's going on. No load, something is not working; heavy load, something could be getting ready to make smoke.
On light airplanes, it usually doesn't matter. Same with a car.
That's the difference.

Yup, this is a great idea! I'll have to find a place for the switch now and hope the EFIS doesn't go berserk when you switch modes.

It won't. The shunt doing all the heavy work. You are just measuring a voltage differential off each shunt. In fact without the shunt the ammeter is just a very sensitive volt meter.

:DI'll take the Con to the debate. My vote is for alternator lead, or LOAD meter. How hard is your alternator working? What electrical energy you are using in-flight? The only way to know is with a Alt lead Amp-meter. If there's an inop electrical item you know it when turning on or off has no affect on load.
OK George, I'll bite, why is the amount of current that the alternator is producing under normal conditions, in a light aircraft important? As long as it is producing what is demanded and charging the battery, "alternator is producitn xx Amps" is information that is not necessarily important. Most devices have power indications so you can usually tell by just looking at the device if it is using power.

If an item is shorting or drawing too much current you know it. That could be a sign of failure. Also right after start before you turn on the electrical items you can see the battery charge and watch the amp-meter go down as the battery recovers after the start.
A shorting device *should* become apparent with your circuit protection device, but even if you have no circuit protection device, the heavy discharge indication on the battery lead ammeter will also get your attention.
Also one last thing to recommend the Alt Lead amp-meter is installation is easier, right off the B-lead. With the Bat lead amp-meter, the location of the shunt can be a pain. That pain is mitigated if you use a Hall-effect amp-meter, since no break in the wire is needed.
Well, we are all (most anyway) building airplanes here not retrofitting so I do not view this as a minus. The shunt's gotta go somewhere and if it is coming off the starter terminal lead or the alternator B lead, it's like six in on and half-dozen in the other.

I guess my view on it in light aircraft is that both modes will give you information (different) when all things are operating normally, but only the battery lead mode will also give you information when things are not and the alternator has gone TU.

Interesting info here

So, in an attempt to make sense of all the info pro/con here, I am going to posit an idea stream here, just to induce further debate/insight.

Which is more likely to fail is flight----battery or alternator??

After a failure in flight occurs, what information is going to be most useful to you for the remainder of the flight------info about the device that is no longer working to keep you flying*, or info about the device that is now doing all the work of keeping you flying*???

In a dual battery/dual alternator system, does the logic of all this change??? And if so, how and why does it change???

I really do appreciate this thread, as I am going to be installing my sensor today or tomorrow, and I still have the option of either location.

As I am set up with a dual batt, dual alt system, I am leaning toward the sensor being in the main alt output configuration.

Were I doing a single batt/alt setup, I think I would go for battery sensing.

* exchange "alive" for "flying" if that will make more sense to you.

Last edited:
Won't a VOLT METER cover all of the above questions.

It will tell you the condition of the battery before you start the motor. After start up it will tell you the output of the alternator. And a light can tell you when the alternator goes off line. Then you go back to the VOLT METER to see what is left in the battery.

I'm bit and I can't get up

w1curtis said:
gmcjetpilot: "I'll take the Con to the debate. My vote is for alternator lead, or LOAD meter. How hard is your alternator working? What electrical energy you are using in-flight? The only way to know is with a Alt lead Amp-meter. If there's an inop electrical item you know it when turning on or off has no affect on load."

w1curtis: OK George, I'll bite, why is the amount of current that the alternator is producing under normal conditions, in a light aircraft important? As long as it is producing what is demanded and charging the battery, "alternator is producitn xx Amps" is information that is not necessarily important. Most devices have power indications so you can usually tell by just looking at the device if it is using power.
Well because how hard the alternator is working is relevant to heat and health of the alternator. It's a double edge sword. We want small and light alternators, which are typically limited to 40 or 60 amps. Weight & size are directly proportional to max output. On the plus side modern electronics and lights (LED) may draw less juice, but on the other hand we keep adding and more electical load, heated seats, heated pitot, A/C, HID lights........ It's just nice to know the load. That's my story and I am sticking to it. :D (Car makers run into this, even the smallest cars today have 130 amp alternators. You don't see amp-meters on cars any more. They just make sure the alternator is enough to handle all load and just a low volt idot light informs the driver. It works.)

In the OLD days, even before my time, generators typically had output of 25, 30 may be 35 amps. WOW! Big deal. Gens also needed RPM to make power; At idle they made almost nothing. The BAT LEAD "Charge-Discharge" amp-meter (eg, needle center zero, + / - ) was real useful, because the generator could not keep up the load, often; It was the battery filling the gap (a lot). You saw a lot of Plus/Neg needle action on the old 50's cars and plane amp/load meters, depending on RPM and load. RV's with a modern alternator spinning like mad, a charge-discharge-amp-meter needle just sits a tad on the plus side and does not move. Not really exciting or useful in my opinion. If the LOW volt light comes on (which should be a mandatory idiot light on all planes like all cars have) you know the alternator is dead. Yes if that happens you will see discharge for the charge-discharge meter. I say so what? Low volts means shed load to essential items and land. There is no doubt the BAT charge-discharge amp-meter would be more useful after alternator failure; The LOAD meter will read ZERO, but that is useful info.

Now a days we have enough alternator capacity to provide 100% of the juice 100% of the time, and the battery is just going along for the ride 100% of the time, unless the ALT dies. If the alternator does die, USE the VOLT meter which tells you a lot as I said previously.

gmcjetpilot: "If an item is shorting or drawing too much current you know it. That could be a sign of failure. Also right after start before you turn on the electrical items you can see the battery charge and watch the amp-meter go down as the battery recovers after the start."

w1curtis: A shorting device *should* become apparent with your circuit protection device, but even if you have no circuit protection device, the heavy discharge indication on the battery lead ammeter will also get your attention.
Sure you are right, detecting a short with a "LOAD" amp-meter is a stretch, you got me. :eek: However I do have an example of an over-load shown by the LOAD/amp-meter; it does not apply to fixed gear RV's, but an electric gear extension/retraction motor drew more current because the gear was binding. The high draw was an indication of motor working harder. Gear adjustment and lubrication solved the problem! If you watch the amps during flap extension on the ground verses in the air you see difference in current draw.

A more practical example, inop item, where the LOAD/amp-meter tells you something like a NAV light or landing light is not working. In-flight they're hard to see some times. I know my NAV's draw 5 amps total, 2x2 amp-wing tips, 1 amp-tail. With a digital amp-meter, I can sell if a bulb is burned out by the LOAD meter draw. Big deal? No. As you said you can just look at the light and see it's not illuminate. Still, my two weak reasons are better than none at all. :rolleyes:

gmcjetpilot: "Also one last thing to recommend the Alt Lead amp-meter is installation is easier, right off the B-lead. With the Bat lead amp-meter, the location of the shunt can be a pain. That pain is mitigated if you use a Hall-effect amp-meter, since no break in the wire is needed."

w1curtis: Well, we are all (most anyway) building airplanes here not retrofitting so I do not view this as a minus. The shunt's gotta go somewhere and if it is coming off the starter terminal lead or the alternator B lead, it's like six in on and half-dozen in the other.
I hear you but where do you put the battery shut? As you said off the starter contactor terminal to "THE BUSS" works. I say "THE" because many planes now have many buss's. Guys and gals out there in kit-plane building land are getting real sophisticated with their wiring, with multi HOT Buss's: Main, Aux and Hot all in parrellel. For example, with electronic ignition (Lightspeed), its recommended you go right off the battery, not thru the master contactor and main buss. When you have a second or third line off the battery in parallel to the main buss, one shunt is not enough. The hall-effect amp-sensor has the obvious advantage of not breaking the wire or carring the actual current, so it can go over the BIG BAT wire right off the battery and measure all current (you put the hall-effect on the negative battery cable/wire). Bottom line, the B-lead is easier to install in any application, in my humble opinion, shunt or hall-effect.

w1curtis: I guess my view on it in light aircraft is that both modes will give you information (different) when all things are operating normally, but only the battery lead mode will also give you information when things are not and the alternator has gone TU.
Well we disagree, that's cool. I do get it, I just think the alternator lead LOAD amp-meter is more useful overall in-flight. On the ground with the engine off or in the air alternator TU, the BAT charge-discharge meter is more useful, no doubt. My point the LOAD meter is useful 99% of the time, giving more info in-flight, with the alternator working, which is normal.

Bottom bottom line you don't even need an amp-meter. As gasman said (don't want to know how you got that name :rolleyes: ) the volt-meter is plenty to divine the electical systems health. Amp-meters regardless of what they measure are luxuries; they're not even required by FAR's for certified GA planes.

Last edited:
I'm a battery lead advocate

This gives you a indicator of battery condition/charge. Knowing how much the alternator is putting out is interesting perhaps but has no value IMO. Knowing the charge current to the battery tells you how the battery is doing which is useful. Actually these days I look at it occasionally as I switched to an EI gauge that has the switch on the front panel to swich between volts or amps. I look at amps to see how the battery is but otherwise it stays on volts. If I see anything other than the usual 14.3 than I start to get curious, volts is really all you need to monitor the electrical system though.