guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: I've argued for two years now that the D cell batteries with an expiration date 7 years out didn't need to be changed every two years. I argued the only reason it was common place is that what we got used to with the earlier ELTs. Well, I take it all back, I was wrong, and I'm not sure they should go two years. Let me explain, I am in the process of doing my 2nd condition inspection on my RV-9A, it will be two years old next month and has 315 hours on airframe and engine. Today I removed the AmeriKing ELT to change the 6 D cell batteries. I found that one of the six had leaked acid into the battery case and that all six had a voltage of 1.47v. The new batteries had a voltage of 1.62. I brought the old batteries home and put them into my 3 cell flashlight and the bulb was not as bright as it was with new batteries. The old batteries are the Duracell Alkaline Battery, MN1300, LR20, and 1.5v with a Mar 2014 date. I wonder if I should routinely change the batteries every year or find another brand of battery that will not leak and will hold the voltage for at least two years. What do ya'll think? Dan.

There is no requirement to change the batteries before the expiration date. There IS a requirement to inspect them annually. If you find them leaking and/or low voltage they need to be changed. And they need to be changed as a set. Expiration dates need to be the same on all the batteries.

My Ameriking does not give a battery option

The manual for mu transponder gives a specific part number and manufacturer for the D cells. I change them when the dates on them indicate there non-operating life has expired and use them at home in flashlights. I went through that big old orange NARCO ELT battery replacement every two years for 22 years and the D cell replacement is a welcome change for me. I always carry spare AA and D cell batteries in the plane.

Bob Axsom

True...

The manual for mu transponder gives a specific part number and manufacturer for the D cells. I change them when the dates on them indicate there non-operating life has expired and use them at home in flashlights. I went through that big old orange NARCO ELT battery replacement every two years for 22 years and the D cell replacement is a welcome change for me. I always carry spare AA and D cell batteries in the plane.

Bob Axsom

...that the on-line manual (and my copy) specifies the batteries.

The original poster used --

Duracell Alkaline Battery, MN1300, LR20, and 1.5v

...which is exactly what the manual requires.

LR20 is just another designation (European or Far East) for a D-cell.

http://www.ameri-king.com/pdf/02 IM 450 Rev A Installation Manual.pdf

I'm note sure if it was on this list...

...or on the Matronics list, but apparently there has been a change to the internal construction of the Duracell Coppertop batteries. Whatever this recent change, it has worsened the tendency of these batteries to leak acid.

After I first read about this tendency, I checked all my aviation items that use batteries: Garmin portable GPS destroyed via battery acid (works off of external 12v but not internal battery, one shop flashlight destroyed beyond repair, two carry on flashlights required extensive cleaning, but repaired, one package of unopened of "D" cells that had the date code...the ones I was going to put in my ELT, leaking.

From now on, I check all battery powered devices each 6 months...for me it is July 4, and Jan 1.

Last edited:
That's interesting...

...or on the Matronics list, but apparently there has been a change to the internal construction of the Duracell Coppertop batteries. Whatever this recent change, it has worsened the tendency of these batteries to leak acid.

After I first read about this tendency, I checked all my aviation items that use batteries: Garmin portable GPS destroyed via battery acid (works off of external 12v but not internal battery, one shop flashlight destroyed beyond repair, two carry on flashlights required extensive cleaning, but repaired, one package of unopened of "D" cells that had the date code...the ones I was going to put in my ELT, leaking.

From now on, I check all battery powered devices each 6 months...for me it is July 4, and Jan 1.

...even the Duracell web site seemms to use a new part number for D-cells

MN13RT8Z Battery

..and their web site URL says it's an "equivalent" to the old MN1300 part number.

http://www.duracelldirect.com/part_mn13rt8z.aspx?equiv=MN1300/D

I wonder if the construction/chemistry changed - I did find that the only ones available, expensive English AA cells with a "green label" lasted a lot shorter time in my digital camera.

I guess this is what can happens when FAA approved documents point to commercial part numbers...

Just for laughs, you could try a warranty claim...

Duracell Battery Guarantee

If you're not completely satisfied with a DURACELL Product,

All DURACELL Batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship. Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defect, Duracell will repair or replace it (at Duracell's option) if it is sent with the batteries, postage prepaid to:

Duracell
Berkshire Corporate Park
Bethel, CT, 06801 U.S.A.
Att: Consumer Dept.

AmeriKing 450 Elt batteries

Guys: Below is an email I sent to AmeriKing and their response. Dan.

Dan

Thank you for your Email.
The Duracell MN1300 baterries have been TSO approved with the ELT since 1996.
Duracell has been the best choice in the US.
Annual inspection for corrosion is required.
We recommend replacing the baterries every year.
Thank you again.

Keith Van
Ameri-King Corporation
17881 Sampson Lane
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
Email [email protected]

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 6:41 am
Subject: 450 ELT Duracell battery issue

I have your 450 ELT installed in my RV-9A for the last two years. It was installed April 07 with new Duracell MN1300 batteries. Two day ago I removed the ELT to install new Duracell batteries during the second annual condition inspection. I removed the 6 batteries and discovered that one had leaked and the bottom was corroded, all showed voltage of 1.47 compared to the new batteries at a voltage of 1.62 volts. I installed three of the removed batteries in my three cell flashlight and the bulb was approximately 2/3s as bright as the same flashlight with new batteries. I am concerned equally about the corrosion and the voltage drop under ?non use conditions?. Are these still your batteries of choice for you product or do you have a recommended suitable substitute? I don?t think these Duracell batteries would have lasted the full 24 hours in an operating ELT. What do you think? What is your recommended battery change schedule? Dan.