Neal@F14

Well Known Member
The RV-6 that I'm about to purchase has "Day VFR Only" in its operating limitations document. The airplane was built with full lights, electrical system, and a vaccum system with all the gyro instruments needed for night VFR operations.

How difficult is it, and what is the process for amending the operation limitations to allow night VFR operations since the aircraft already meets all the equipment requirements?

EDIT: It's a non-issue, I was reading the wrong Op Limits page. See response below.

Last edited:
Ops lims

Here is typical Ops Lims language. Note number 8.

If you equip the plane iaw the requirements, then you determine its suitability for night and/or IFR. No other sign offs required. Go fly.

"(7) This aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.
(8) After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with ? 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only. "

Here is typical Ops Lims language. Note number 8.

If you equip the plane iaw the requirements, then you determine its suitability for night and/or IFR. No other sign offs required. Go fly.

"(7) This aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.
(8) After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with ยง 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only. "

Vern,
That's how OP Lims are worded today. Back in the day, they weren't worded the same way.

Back to the original question, they can be changed and it doesn't appear to be that difficult. The process is explained in this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=61513&highlight=lims

Wichita Falls is a nice reasonable cross-country flight from Farmersville, where you'll find Mel Asberry, DAR Extrordinaire, presiding over Short Stop Airport. I am sure he can fix you up with the latest Ops Lims.... ;)

Paul

Missing Paragraph #8

The operation limitations of the RV6 I'm considering buying omitted paragraph 8 altogether. It just jumped over it. Otherwise, it has the same paragraph 7 that Vern described above. Also, for other paragraph numbers, it specifically states that the paragraph is "not applicable to this aircraft." but, for number 8, it just skipped it. Strange.

I guess I will also be pursuing an operation limitation change since the aircraft is equipped for night VFR.

These are operation limitations from October 2005, Sacramento FSDO.

Fernando

Your local FSDO or any DAR holding function code 33 and 46 can amend your operating limitations to the latest configuration.

Thanks for all the help. After more searching last night, I discovered on EAA's website that the "new style" op limits came about in 2004. This RV-6 was signed off in 2003, and thus has old style operating limits. The builder never intended to fly it at night himself, but equipped the plane for it anyway.

EDIT: Non-issue... I was reading the wrong op limits page, see below.

Last edited:
I just changed my tail number and had to get my Operating Limitations changed to reflect the new tail number. Quite honestly it was a painless process and the Tony Serio at the Baltimore FSDO was very helpful doing everything through email and snail mail, I did not need to go there.

All you need to do is contact your local FSDO and let them know you want new Operating Limitations.

The current wording for the operating limitations can be found on page 4-64 here: http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/order/8130.2g.pdf

Boy do I feel dumb.

I was reading the Op Limits document thru the clear plastic folder containing that document, the registration and A/W cert docs in the airplane, without removing all the papers from the folder and that's where I saw the "Day VFR only" verbage. Turns out that the first page was folded up and I didn't see the part about that page was for Phase 1 stuff only. There are 5 pages of Op Lims total folded up, and I now have a copy of all of them in my hands. The Phase 2 section starts on the third of these pages and there is indeed verbage stating that night VFR and IFR flight is permitted in Phase 2 if the plane is so equipped in accordance with 14 CFR 91.205 .

I also read and learned a bunch more stuff on the EAA website this evening (the "Tales from the DAR Side" articles) about various different versions of operating limits that have been issued over the years and discovered that I'll actually have the desireable, and more lenient version that covers major alterations and no need to notify the FSDO for the flight test area, that the owner simply logs the major alteration, puts the plane back into Phase 1 and flies the 5 hours off, and returns it back to Phase 2 with appropriate logbook entries himself without FSDO involvement.

So..... I guess I better stick with these operating limitations after all :D

Last edited:
Neal,

Where did you find the tales fro the DAR side articles. I've looked all over the EAA site and no joy.

John Henley