Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Think about this. The amateur/experimental/homebuilding movement has been around what? Sixty years? Think about all of the magazines you have read, all the buyers guides for all the different types. The many, many kits that you have lusted after and drooled over. Think about the armies of people that have built Rutan designs. All those Breezys, Wagabonds, Glassairs, Lancairs. That's a HUGE number of choices, and it doesn't even consider all the one-off designs that people have built from scratch.

Now think about this - the EAA is going to celebrate the 30,000th homebuilt sometime this summer. With the Van's Hobbs meter sitting at about 5,600, that means that fully 20% of ALL homebuilts that have flown in this country have been Van's designs.....

Amazing!

Last edited:
Just goes to show you. Build a better RV, and the world will beat path to your door. ;) Way to go Van, and all you Van's fans & builders.

RV's----

One could surmise maybe another 10,000 + RV kits under some stage of construction :)

Homebuilts

Think about this. The amateur/experimental/homebuilding movement has been around what? Sixty years? Think about all of the magazines you have read, all the buyers guides for all the different types. The many, many kits that you have lusted after and drooled over. Think about the armies of people that have built Rutan designs. All those Breezys, Wagabonds, Glassairs, Lancairs. That's a HUGE number of choices, and it doesn't even consider all the one-off designs that people have built from scratch.

Now think about this - the EAA is going to celebrate the 30,000th homebuilt sometime this summer. With the Van's Hobbs meter sitting at about 5,600, that means that fully 20% of ALL homebuilts that have flown in this country have been Van's designs.....

Amazing!
Not to be a stick in the mud but I believe that the first successful homebuilt was more than 60 years ago. More like 105 years ago by some guys named Wright.:D
Van's will no doubt go down in history as the most successful homebuilt kit, which will be the yardstick all other's are held up against. Hopefully, soon this summer, I will click over on that Hobbs meter of Van's.
Go Van's-Thanks for a Great Airplane
Mike H 9A/8A

being picky....

I know I'm being picky - but are those 30,000 and 5,600 all in the USA???

There are a few RVs in the 5,600 that have escaped the borders :D

Carl

A Certain Symmetry

.......the EAA is going to celebrate the 30,000th homebuilt sometime this summer........fully 20% of ALL homebuilts that have flown in this country have been Van's designs......
Paul,

By any measure, the numbers you cite represent a truly remarkable and uniquely American achievement. I never thought I'd be close to completing and flying my second RV. Doing so wasn't even a personal goal I set for myself. The advances in aviation related technology since my vintage 2000 RV-6A kit was designed continues to astound. Even those few years ago, I did not envision matched hole technology, an advancement that truly democratized the building process and as a result brought thousands more builders into the fold. I think (arguably) of the most breathtaking aviation advances yet....affordable glass EFIS panels, engine monitors, and widespread GPS and increasing available data link technologies that can make our flying significantly safer. Are the popularity of the advanced airframe kits driving such dramatic change or are changes in systems technologies driving the sale of the advanced kits? Does it even really matter? In my mind, I continue to thank two dominant forces in the experimental aviation movement that stand head and shoulders above all the rest. Richard VanGrunsven as a person and designer must be recognized for his incalculable contribution to experimental aviation and the EAA as a group for the large and welcoming tent it provides. It is the EAA that draws us to a unique annual gathering place where aviation lovers of virtually any interest can freely interact at that special place we know as OSHKOSH. It is that fertile ground in Wisconsin that oxygenates and nourishes experimental aviation. It is Oshkosh where we eagerly gather to bear witness to, discuss and share the very best that aviation enthusiasts, pilots, builders and entrepreneurs can and will produce when creativity is openly encouraged and unbridled vision allowed to flourish in an atmosphere of freedom and expression, American style.

What percentage?

It would really be interesting to know what percentage of GA flights or flight hours are homebuilts. Experimentals represent something like 15% of GA aircraft registered, so RV's are around 2% of the GA fleet. I'd be willing to bet that the average hours per year on RV's is above the GA average, particularly if jets and large twins were excluded.

A snapshot gives a clue. Two or more tells a story.

A couple years prior to 2000 Van predicted 2000 RV's would fly by 2000.

After a quarter century, when 2000 rolled around, the fleet had exceeded that prediction by a couple hundred aircraft. Now 8 years later, more than 5,000 RVs have flown. The trends in motion, unless disturbed by an outside force will have Vans aircraft representing over 50% of the fleet of all homebuilts ever completed in just a few years.

The only significant threat to the phenomena is the price of gas.