And if we hadn't given you jet technology, you would still be developing the radial engine :D

Oh, and if George Cayley - the correct father of flight hadn't flown in the UK some time before Orv and Wilb, they may not have got the right inspiration ;)

Next !

Last edited:
Oh yeah????

But Mr. Mike,
Just how many airplanes do we Americans IMPORT from other countries? How many do we EXPORT ?

Same thing applies to immigrants........how many want to leave? :D

Touchdown, eh? ;)

So by and large, the difference between the British effort and the American effort was Charles Taylor?

No Score - Pierre

pierre smith said:
But Mr. Mike,
Just how many airplanes do we Americans IMPORT from other countries? How many do we EXPORT ?

Same thing applies to immigrants........how many want to leave? :D

Touchdown, eh? ;)

Pierre..... no score for our side here....

For General Aviation.... 2003 is the last year of figures for free...

Exports from US = 349
Imports into US = 665

We got almost as many planes in from Canada than were shipped to the rest of the world.... :) ... (Bombardier ? ..eh)

Note - only General Aviation numbers quoted here.

Figures on the import/export of immigrants are much less reliable and harder to come by.... :rolleyes:

Links here...
http://www.aia-aerospace.org/stats/facts_figures/ff_04_05/FF04P028.PDF
http://www.aia-aerospace.org/stats/facts_figures/ff_04_05/FF04P129.PDF

Check facts and figures before making assumptions.... :)

These numbers may go up significantly when the LSA market takes off, since most present contenders seem to be non-US.

gil in Tucson

I hate to do this...NOT

Because its so easy to point to British achievements

OK here are 2 of them....world land speed record (supersonic) and most recently, diesel land speed record, used 2 (somewhat modified) backhoe engines.

Of course the Supersonic record was using two jet engines which of course we invented as well.

Now IF ONLY we had a space programme.

Frank...EX pat brit...Not going home anytime soon...:)

Don't think so

prporter said:
Maybe that's why we kicked their a s s e s in the 1700'ss...

You did this because you fought like cowards...Hiding behind rocks instead of standing in full view of your enemy in a bright red uniform!

Stiff upper lip I tell ya...:)

Frank

Ok - you're a passenger on the 747 and you see the engine belching fire on takeoff, then a little while later the flight attendant asks , "Would you like some peanuts? We'll be serving the meal later in the flight."

Answer: "No thanks, just a change of underwear please."

frankh said:
You did this because you fought like cowards...Hiding behind rocks instead of standing in full view of your enemy in a bright red uniform!

Stiff upper lip I tell ya...:)

Frank

All you needed to complete the effect would be targets on those hats. Can't possibly imagine why you guys lost. What what?

However, you can't beat Brits for style. Some of the most beautiful airplanes ever built were built by the Brits.

Oh Mr Porter, I should have warned of the dire consequences of flaming the Mother Country.................. i.e. the one that helped create the land of the free, the home of the brave - bears, arms etc etc :D

Oh - I almost forgot -

What was the lineup at Reno for the - UNLIMITED GOLD race - the one which is supposed to be the best of the best ?

6, yes 6 Hawker Sea Fury's - British fighter planes (ok, they had Yankee engines)

2 Mustangs with Yes - British Rolls Royce engines - yeah !

1 Yak - with a Yankee engine

It was an awesome weekend and thankfully no one left to join the choir invisible this year - always a bonus !

jsherblon said:
Ok - you're a passenger on the 747 and you see the engine belching fire on takeoff, then a little while later the flight attendant asks , "Would you like some peanuts? We'll be serving the meal later in the flight."

Answer: "No thanks, just a change of underwear please."
:D

My answer:
"No thanks. What I'd really like, though, is for the Captain to LAND THIS AIRPLANE!!"