dwranda

Well Known Member
I just finished my phase 1 and now have about 45 hours in my 9A. I am a very low time pilot with about 125 hours total. In May I flew 22 hours which is the most I've ever flown in 1 month by far. I am feeling more comfortable in this amazing plane every time I go up. I would love to fly to Oshkosh this year, but I'm a bit nervous about the trip. I did meet someone with an RV8 at a pancake breakfast who kind of offered to join up with me to make the trip together. I've watched a bunch of the you tube videos on flying in and it seems with good weather and timing it right it may not be that daunting. In aviation I have learned to take advice from those with far more experience than I have so what are your thoughts? I am thinking of taking a longish trip(3 hours) in June to see how long travel and I get along.

I’d wait a while, until you have at least a couple hundred more hours and much more experience. We don’t want to watch yet another accident report on YouTube.

:eek:

Getting hours while completing your instrument rating is a fantastic idea…

Experience not plane

I would not worry about the new plane for the trip, but rather the low time of the pilot.
I would take up your friend’s offer. I think the inexperience will manifest itself in decision making, so an experience pilot to help with those decisions will be everything and make the trip a non issue.

Maybe you can get a friend who has flown an RV in to Airventure a few times to go with you in your airplane. In the mean time, get very comfortable maneuvering your airplane at 90 KIAS while maintaining an altitude. Also, get proficient at making spot landings.

Last edited:
You can do it! In fact you're probably in better shape currency wise than a significant percentage of pilots, first timers or not, that will be flying in. My advice, in no particular order:
-- continue to fly right up until the event, practice maintaining 1000 AGL and 90KTS. Also, if you can, practice tight descending right downwinds to a spot landing to simulate a common Osh traffic pattern to a landing on a specific runway dot.
--Read the NOTAM
--continue to watch the videos that are out there
--For the trip, fly with a passenger, even if they aren't a pilot, if possible - a second set of eyes and ears can be a godsend
--Read the NOTAM
--Spend some time well ahead of the show figuring out your lodging and daily show logistics (tons of posts on that)
--Follow Dr. Scott Dennstaedt's EZWxBriefs on Youtube, assuming he does it this year. Tons of weather info leading up to the show. At the very least start watching the weather along your route a week out and adjust your plans accordingly. Don't insist on making the trip in one day if you're coming from far off. Spend the night enroute if necessary. Early morning arrivals seem to be less eventful than the mid-morning to midafternoon arrivals, or right after the airshow ends.
--Personal opinion is if the ATIS or controllers state holding over Rush or Green Lakes is in progress-- don't join the arrival. Land and wait it out.
-- Again personal opinion, but try to avoid coming in first thing the day after a major weather event that blocks arrivals as pretty much guaranteed it will be a Charlie Foxtrot event

Did I mention read the NOTAM? This all might sound overwhelming, but with some prep it will be a great time and you'll be glad you did it.

Last edited:
OSH @ 135 knots and 2,300 ft.

All good advice. Last year while I was flying the lower altitude and speed route a group of 170's (maybe 180's) came down from the 135 knots and 2,300 ft. routing less than 1/2 mile in front of me. Drove my traffic alert crazy and my wife trying to look up and back. After talking to a few pilots at the show seems they flew the same routing and far less traffic.

All good advice. Last year while I was flying the lower altitude and speed route a group of 170's (maybe 180's) came down from the 135 knots and 2,300 ft. routing less than 1/2 mile in front of me. Drove my traffic alert crazy and my wife trying to look up and back. After talking to a few pilots at the show seems they flew the same routing and far less traffic.

The NOTAM states "For aircraft unable to operate comfortably at 90 knots:
• Slower aircraft should use maximum cruising speed. ATC recommends arrival at Fisk 7:00-7:30 AM CDT if practicable.
• Faster aircraft use 135 knots and 2,300’ if needed for safety of flight."

It's a pet peeve of mine when aircraft that clearly have no issues flying safely at 90KTS go the high route simply to avoid the conga line. Complete BS IMO.

I started flying my first RV10 when I had 100 hrs total time. I flew it to OSH in 2019 when I had 150hrs total time. It’s not how many hrs you have it is how comfortable you are doing it. If you are unsure then wait and fly in with someone else this year. There’s no rush. BTW I always flew the upper route at 135 kts. We built RVs not kitfoxes. Yes I can fly at 90 kts all day long but I don’t want to.

You could always go to Fon du Lac (KFLD) and drive over. That's my preference anyway, fewer worries about people messing with your airplane.

Co-pilot

I've flow into OSH several times and have always had another pilot in the passenger seat. I'd highly recommend it. They can look for traffic and change radio frequencies while you focus on flying the airplane.

Think hard about the what ifs

If all goes well,… it is fairly easy to fly in…….

But ….
A couple of examples from personal experience

- conga line was not following directions,… controller sent EVERYONE beyond “X” go back and start again. My wife said it looked like WW II air battle over the Pacific, as we were first or second before “X”, folks pulled right and left, high and low, etc.

- Cessna decides to opt out of falling in at end of line and jumps in place in front of guy in front of us

- alternator decides to take a nap after RIPON,….(correction,… it stopped earlier, bus voltage impacted radio past RIPON, and finally got my attention) Time for alternate airport

- last second adjustment to landing point

Just to say,… you gotta be ok with walking, rubbing your tummy, and patting your head at the same time, (and starting or stopping one or more on command)

let’s face it,… first time in can be high stress “just because”, and then……

All that said, if you have done your homework, and practiced slow and heavy, along with right/left close in pattern work to spot landings….. go for it, it is great to hear “welcome to Oshkosh”… (exit runway immediately ��)

Last edited:
When you fly in makes a difference... a busy time of day on a busy day...

This.

We usually fly in the Thursday *BEFORE* with no drama and enjoy hanging out in homebuilt camping for the weekend, frankly the highlight of the trip for us, good friends and fun times :)

I’m kind of in the same boat: 140 hours total, 25 in the RV. Plus, being west coast, I’d have to make it across the Sierras and the Rockies. I won’t be flying PIC to Oshkosh any time soon. I think it would be better to go right-seat along with someone experienced first, before attempting the trip myself. Just my own opinion based on my own proficiency.

planning and practice

Just like your cross country during pilot training this will take practice and planning. Plan your route to and from Oshkosh. Fly the first segment, get fuel and return. Then fly the first leg, get fuel and fly the second; spend the night and go home. Plan on flying into busy airports. After each leg CRITICALLY critique how the flight went. What was your fuel burn? Did you land with more or less fuel? How was the weather? Did you navigate to your checkpoints accurately and on time? What would you have done differently?

Young pilots were flying P-38s, P-51s and other aircraft to England and then over Germany with less time than you have. You CAN do this, spend the next eight weeks getting ready.

You can do it. You’re very current flying the airplane and have a capable airplane. Plan thoroughly, avoid the crazy arrival windows, and execute your plan. Be very familiar with the arrival procedures.

I made my first trip to Oshkosh in ‘93 as a 100 hour pilot in a Tomahawk. It isn’t rocket surgery. It just requires currency and planning.

Newbe at OSH

Just like your cross country during pilot training this will take practice and planning. Plan your route to and from Oshkosh. Fly the first segment, get fuel and return. Then fly the first leg, get fuel and fly the second; spend the night and go home. Plan on flying into busy airports. After each leg CRITICALLY critique how the flight went. What was your fuel burn? Did you land with more or less fuel? How was the weather? Did you navigate to your checkpoints accurately and on time? What would you have done differently?

Young pilots were flying P-38s, P-51s and other aircraft to England and then over Germany with less time than you have. You CAN do this, spend the next eight weeks getting ready.

All the above has been good advice which is what you need. Talk to ANYONE who has been there before. This forum is a good source of information and, as you have seen, have varied from very discouraging to very encouraging. Only you will know if you are ready.

Random thoughts:

Have a copy of the NOTAM on your kneeboard. Take out the pages you don't need and highlight runway patterns and frequencies. The "conga line" is a reference to the line of airplanes coming from the Southwest to get into position to land. That is the "Fisk Arrival" but starts well before that. Last year they were lined up to Portage! Once you are approaching the field, you will be directed to either 18/36 or 9/27. The Winds might be favoring one runway but you will be directed to another. :rolleyes:

You should practice some downwind landings sometime as that seems to be where people get in trouble: quartering tailwind landing on 36. Going faster than your usual landing speed can be disorienting. Skill with spot landing would be a good idea: "Land on the purple dot" means get as close to the purple dot on the runway as possible as you touch down. You should be comfortable with LEFT and RIGHT base-to-final turns. You should be comfortable with a busy airport. You should be good at LISTENING to the radio and following instructions. At OSH you RARELY have to talk to anyone but the instructions you are given are crucial to getting on the ground safely. You will be known as "the red and white low wing" (or whatever you look like) and will maintain that identification after you "rock your wings" to confirm that is who the controller is looking at. They will not use your N number.

Going mid week can sometimes be better than trying to get there at the beginning of the week as far as traffic is concerned. Find out when the "mass arrivals" are; this year the C 170's are coming in a group but there are the usual Cirrus (becoming more numerous), Bonanzas and Mooneys. Avoid those days (or times) and avoid coming in AFTER they arrive as EVERYone will be wanting to come in. Avoid coming in after a major weather event (which can last for days) as, as soon as the weather breaks, everyone will be coming in.

Once you are established on the Fisk Arrival procedure, be ready for ANYTHING! I used to think all pilots are pretty smart and courteous. I was wrong. Just be ready to adjust what you are doing for the current situation.

Once you have landed, you might hear "Exit immediately into the grass" which means there is likely someone behind you that needs the space on the runway you are occupying. Miss the runway light and go off the runway into the grass. That will eventually take you to a hard surface; then "follow the EAA flaggers" in orange vests that will be there to help show you where to go. Have your placard ready that tells them where you want to go (see the NOTAM)

What are you going to do once you get there? Camping with your airplane is always available. Hotel and dorm rooms were reserved 2-3 years ago. You might be lucky to enough to find one. BRING TIEDOWNS.

Can you do this? Yes. Again, it is dependent on how confident you feel about your flying abilities. You need to know your airplane. One should ALWAYS be comfortable with slow flight but it will be critical to have those skills at OSH. Do a bunch of that. RV's fly well below 90kts but you might be required to go slower than that. If you are following a J-3 in line, they can't DO 90 kts. :eek:

Don't push yourself. If not this year, next year will be just fine!

Let us know your progress and thinking. You will get a ton of advice here!:)

You can do it! In fact you're probably in better shape currency wise than a significant percentage of pilots, first timers or not, that will be flying in. My advice, in no particular order:
-- continue to fly right up until the event, practice maintaining 1000 AGL and 90KTS. Also, if you can, practice tight descending right downwinds to a spot landing to simulate a common Osh traffic pattern to a landing on a specific runway dot.
--Read the NOTAM
--For the trip, fly with a passenger, even if they aren't a pilot, if possible - a second set of eyes and ears can be a godsend
--Read the NOTAM
--Spend some time well ahead of the show figuring out your lodging and daily show logistics (tons of posts on that)
--Follow Dr. Scott Dennstaedt's EZWxBriefs on Youtube, assuming he does it this year. Tons of weather info leading up to the show. At the very least start watching the weather along your route a week out and adjust your plans accordingly. Don't insist on making the trip in one day if you're coming from far off. Spend the night enroute if necessary. Early morning arrivals seem to be less eventful than the mid-morning to midafternoon arrivals, or right after the airshow ends.
--Personal opinion is if the ATIS or controllers state holding over Rush or Green Lakes is in progress-- don't join the arrival. Land and wait it out.
-- Again personal opinion, but try to avoid coming in first thing the day after a major weather event that blocks arrivals as pretty much guaranteed it will be a Charlie Foxtrot event

Did I mention read the NOTAM? This all might sound overwhelming, but with some prep it will be a great time and you'll be glad you did it.

An excellent post with great advice. The issue really isn't your lack of skill, as are likely more proficient than a guy that only flies to OSH each year. The issue is are you skilled enough to evade the decent number of really unskilled pilots that seem to pop up in the Osh conga line. I will re-emphasize slow flight practice. There is a good chance you will be stuck behind one of those guys that is self-exempted from following the Notam and will be at 75 knots and occasionally drop to 70 when he feels that is too fast or burning too much gas just to keep some RV guy happy. Be sure that you are well practiced in flying at this speed AND comfortable manuevering at that speed, as you just never know what the guy in front of you is going to do. I have a lot more hours of experience than you do and I still go out and fly around the home area at 70-75 knots for an hour before making the trip. I realize that this is not something we often do without the nose pointing down on final and WE ALL get rusty. As you know from training, great caution is required when making an evasive turn at 75 knots.

PLEASE do not assume that you will be flying at 90 knots as that tends to be the exception, not the rule. At least in my experience. I cannot remember a trip where someone was not screaming 90 knots on the radio. Last year, the guy in front of me was so slow that you could see a 5 mile gap between him and the next guy on ADSB. Then again I always go on Sunday which is probably the worst time to go if you don't feel challenged by this kind of stuff. Remember that the NOTAM says 90 knots, but half the fleet is instrumented in MPH. So not surprising that half the folks are doing 78 knots thinking that they are being good citizens. One of these days it would be nice if the FAA update the NOTAM to say 90 Knots (103 MPH), but not holding my breath. Then again, I am not sure that even half the folks read the NOTAM. Not reading the instructions is pretty much considered by most Americans to be a birth right.

If you are prepared, you will do great.

Last edited:
I just finished my phase 1 and now have about 45 hours in my 9A. I am a very low time pilot with about 125 hours total. In May I flew 22 hours which is the most I've ever flown in 1 month by far. I am feeling more comfortable in this amazing plane every time I go up. I would love to fly to Oshkosh this year, but I'm a bit nervous about the trip. I did meet someone with an RV8 at a pancake breakfast who kind of offered to join up with me to make the trip together. I've watched a bunch of the you tube videos on flying in and it seems with good weather and timing it right it may not be that daunting. In aviation I have learned to take advice from those with far more experience than I have so what are your thoughts? I am thinking of taking a longish trip(3 hours) in June to see how long travel and I get along.

Im not that much ahead of you in hours and experience. I was thinking of flying over there sometime in June or early July for a test run. You are not that far from me. Im in Mason MI - KTEW. I was going to fly north and over the lake and come in from the north. If I am able to find a good couple of days I will let you know and see if you want to fly your plane along with mine. I will PM you my email.

If all your experience is flying into uncontrolled airports, don't. Oshkosh is no place to learn to fly into controlled airspace. I've seen very experienced pilots become flustered when ATC starts rattling off heading, altitude changes quickly.

Last edited:
Plus one on Fond-du-Lac being a great option. There is a bus to KOSH (tickets available at the FBO at the MIDFIELD EAST side of the field) and that avoids parking issues. (Thanks jrs14855)

If there has been a weather event / hold up from VFR arrivals , there will be massive arrival SNAFU / CF even at Fond-du-Lac so keep that and the other prudent advice from previous posts in your back pocket. Everybody hopes they can beat the rush by being first to arrive as soon as the wx clears.

Well timed and prepared makes for a low volume and easy arrival and departure event.

Last edited:
Fond du Lac

Fond du Lac early Sun morning, before the temporary tower opens, will be very quiet. Bring tiedowns. FBO is midfield East side, NOT SE corner.

It's not rocket science but keep your options open

Lots of good advice here. Its been a while since my 1st trip flying into OSH, but I still remember it well.

I would suggest the comment about flying into controlled fields is a good one, and something you can practice locally if you don't regularly fly to controlled fields. Just fly into a bunch of different ones. Its likely better practice, to do that than going on one long flight.

Most of the comments/stories you will hear about 90 knots, and getting cut off will be from Saturday through Monday morning arrivals, which is prime time for this crowd, many of whom will be gone after the Wed night airshow (which is fantastic). If you arrive in this window, you really should have another set of eyes looking for traffic as it can get sporting.

In your RV, you will always have a camping spot so no need to rush to get one.

If you don't like what you see, you can always bug out go land somewhere, and then come back when it gets quiet. It will get quiet. ADS-B is your friend. Once you've been down low bouncing in the heat for a while you will want to get there but you are always a left turn and a short climb away from relatively calm airspace.

Outside of the crazy times, (and after FISK mostly even during) it will be like a normal controlled airport arrival except you need to have read the instructions, which makes it easier since you know what to expect.

Ideally the controllers only talk to you twice. Go right or straight at Fisk and which dot to land on. 36 and 27 is what the weather normally favours.

If you are landing 09/27 you go straight follow the tracks and are either basically on right base for 09, or crosswind to join the right downwind for 27. Otherwise you get told to turn right and you are on base for 36. All pretty easy. If you have someone close behind you you will be asked to land on a dot down the runway, otherwise you will be told to land where you normally would.

Read about the 18 arrival. Its not common but requires you start descending on the downwind and then basically one continuous turn to land. It feels a bit like a practice engine failure off the downwind, and needs to be that way since you are pointed at 09/27 on the downwind.

Go arounds are not a big deal since they meter planes at FISK. Just do it, announce it (yes you are allowed to speak) and expect to rejoin the downwind.

Once on the ground turn off in to the grass and enjoy the show :D

Derek

Last edited:
EAA has a webinar coming up all about the Oshkosh Airventure NOTAM and arrivals. It will take some of the mystery out of the arrival process.

My best advice: Have a well thought out plan A, B, C, D, E, etc... in advance.

Show up with plenty of gas in the tanks.
Be prepared to do one or more of the holds.
If you don't like circling the lake with 100 other pilots, then immediately divert to your plan B or plan C. On the ground, you can monitor the Fisk arrival with your smart phone (flightradar 24, flightaware, liveatc.net, etc) and decide when to relaunch, or to back off with plan D to overnight or land somewhere other than Oshkosh for the evening.

As long as you are comfortable with the flying at 1000' and 90 Knots (pretty easy in an RV-9A), it should be pretty easy to get in the conga line and just follow the airplane ahead. A half mile in trail looks really close, so before you go, try to get some visual cues to help position yourself. Knowing where RIPON, FISK, and which of the current runways are in use, and what landmarks to follow once you are told to rock your wings are important. Just keep the pattern tight, aim for the dot you are given and don't be afraid to go around if you need to. At the western most way point in the NOTAM, you'll be lucky to hear ATIS and Fisk arrival down at 1000'. I had to turn off the squelch mode on my COMM to get some scratchy reception.

Sunday arrivals are CRAZY busy if there is any sort of weather in the way. Early in the day is best, and gives you more options. Don't be the guy showing up 700th in line at an hour before the field closes for the night.

Wow what amazing replies and advice! Thanks everyone. I do have about 7 weeks to prepare so thats no excuse to not go. There's no way I would show up on Sunday with a weather situation. I am thinking of Friday morning or even Thursday before the show. That should take some of the stress out of it. The good thing is I don't HAVE to fly. We could always just hop in the car and drive it. Weather may be the deciding factor.

For what it's worth, here's a screenshot of our arrival last year on Flight Aware. As you can see, it can get REALLY busy.

Study the NOTAM, practice flying at 90 knots and spot landings. You'll do fine.

I do think another pilot with you will help calm the nerves when flying with this amount of traffic.

Attachments

• IMG_5512.jpg
    IMG_5512.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 205
Hi I'm the RV8 pilot you chatted with at the pancake breakfast. Lots of great advice in this thread! In my opinion the best way to approach this is to break the trip down into various segments. There's the cross-country segment that will involve the typical decision-making processes with weather, fuel stops, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary here but as a low time pilot you definitely want to stack everything in your favor and be conservative with your decision-making. I also like to fuel up going into the last short leg as getting fuel at Oshkosh can be a rather time-consuming process depending on how busy the fuel trucks are. It's reassuring to know your tanks are full when it's time to leave.

As others have said you definitely want to be very familiar with the notam. The approach isn't necessarily difficult but is it is something that is very different from anything else. Practice holding the specified approach speed while maintaining a specified altitude is something you can do ahead of time. Practicing spot landings ahead of time is also very helpful. Be sure you have all required frequencies closeby and practice sequencing the next frequency into standby so it's ready when you need it at the push of a button.

The main thing flying the approach is to be well prepared and not get rattled when something doesn't go as planned. Each time I flown in, other airplanes have cut into the line halfway there, not maintaining the correct speed, etc. and you just need to adjust as necessary while remembering to fly your airplane and continue a very active and thorough scan outside the windshield.

If you'd like, we can get together ahead of time to chat about how your airplane is equipped, and fly some simulated approaches. If you're still comfortable with the idea of flying in you can certainly follow me in the pattern but we may get separated at the end when they divert traffic to one of the various active runways.

The worst times are midday to mid-afternoon on the first weekend. If you can overnight somewhere close by and be airborne early so that you're hitting the arrival at the time the field opens, you'll have a lot less competition getting in. Ripon and Fiske are now RNAV waypoints, so if you have ForeFlight or any GPS that's been updated in the last 5 years those will be helpful to give you guidance so you can be focused on traffic and less on route. Prepare. Print out your sign and stand back 20 feet to see if it's legible.

I have always been shocked by the number of pilots that I've encountered at outlying airports (Portage, Dells, etc.) who haven't even bothered to review the NOTAM. One year a group was using the ATIS freq. as an air-to-air to coordinate their unofficial mass arrival (no joke, after a big storm went through and everyone was bum-rushing RIPON, no less). You can do it, just come with the expectation that it will require focus and skill, mostly to avoid the pilots who come unprepared with little focus or skill.

Bought a used RV9A in 2018. Low time pilot, 200 hours. Did the transition training, some short flights, 30 hours in it. Been doing alot of updates to the plane so no flying.Plane will be will be ready for Oshkosh, will fly to KUES, Waukesha, rent a car then drive. Will also have another pilot on board, low time also, so we are going experience part of the trip to Wisconsin but play it safe and drive to Oshkosh. Next year will be the bucket list trip.

Bought a used RV9A in 2018. Low time pilot, 200 hours. Did the transition training, some short flights, 30 hours in it. Been doing alot of updates to the plane so no flying.Plane will be will be ready for Oshkosh, will fly to KUES, Waukesha, rent a car then drive. Will also have another pilot on board, low time also, so we are going experience part of the trip to Wisconsin but play it safe and drive to Oshkosh. Next year will be the bucket list trip.

This is a reasonable choice. You or anyone else who isn't comfortable with the arrival are making a wise decision if you choose to land short and drive in.

--Read the NOTAM
--Read the NOTAM

I agree with everything Todd has stated above.
You might also want to consider arriving early to the show. Thursday & Friday morning arrivals are usually less busy, unless the wx forecast for Saturday /Sunday are bad. Then all bets are off.

Last edited:
My two cents

Frankly I’ve found flying into Oshkosh for Airventure some of the most challenging flying I’ve ever done and I have over 4,000 hours in multiple aircraft. It’s not just thoroughly knowing the NOTAM procedures, nor the extremely high volume of VFR traffic, nor watching out for your fellow airmen flying in there who aren’t following the published procedures, nor the enroute weather, nor the decision whether to divert for fuel or hold while you’re waiting to see how soon or if they’ll going to reopen the airport, nor the post landing gaggle of correctly exiting the runway to pickup a Marshaller for parking, and certainly not the ability to land on the “green dot.” It’s all of this **** combined with pilot fatigue impacting critical decision making at various stressful moments. AirVenture flying is not to be underestimated nor undertaken without careful consideration, planning, preparation and frankly experience!.

My advice, if you’re determined to fly into OSHKOSH this year take an experienced pilot on this trip who has done it before and let him/her guide you this first time.

Also don’t forget about the Oshkosh departure. That has its own challenges! Once you start taxing from parking have your aircraft ready (and you mentally ready) for immediate takeoff because once you start rolling it will come at you fast.

Flying to OSH

The worst times are midday to mid-afternoon on the first weekend. If you can overnight somewhere close by and be airborne early so that you're hitting the arrival at the time the field opens, you'll have a lot less competition getting in. Ripon and Fiske are now RNAV waypoints, so if you have ForeFlight or any GPS that's been updated in the last 5 years those will be helpful to give you guidance so you can be focused on traffic and less on route. Prepare.

Good advice here. There is something that is not usually addressed: training these days sometimes seems to center on what is happening on the GPS, panel (airspeed, altitude, heading) and NOT so much what is happening OUTSIDE the aircraft, especially with all the new "glass" panels that have appeared. You should be VERY comfortable with what your airplane is TELLING you and not having to stare at the panel for that information. Get another pilot on board with you and fly around, including slow flight with turns, with only OCCASIONAL glances at the panel. You may not be entirely used to how your airplane feels without reference to your panel. LOOK OUTSIDE and FEEL what your airplane is TELLING you. It might also be helpful to find an RV pilot who would be willing to "lead" you around in flight so you can see what following someone at 1000 AGL and 90 knots LOOKS like: outside the airplane.

Print out your sign and stand back 20 feet to see if it's legible.

Have your destination sign you PRINTED AT HOME ready to show the marshallers AS SOON AS YOU EXIT THE RUNWAY! Digging for it when you are blocking other aircraft trying to get off the runway is bad form. Not to mention dangerous. And a hand-drawn sign with pencil on a piece of notebook paper is NOT adequate. It only tells us who are trying to get you to your destination you did NOT read the NOTAM!

I have always been shocked by the number of pilots that I've encountered at outlying airports (Portage, Dells, etc.) who haven't even bothered to review the NOTAM. One year a group was using the ATIS freq. as an air-to-air to coordinate their unofficial mass arrival (no joke, after a big storm went through and everyone was bum-rushing RIPON, no less). You can do it, just come with the expectation that it will require focus and skill, mostly to avoid the pilots who come unprepared with little focus or skill.

Indeed! Just when you think you've seen it all.....! Once those pilots get on the ground and have done something.....stupid....we ask them "Did you not read the NOTAM?" and they look at you like you just asked if they read the Spanish Inquisition. Be VERY familiar with what the NOTAM tells you. Print out or tear out of the booklet those pages you NEED; you don't need to have all of it on your kneeboard. Have ALL the frequencies lined up on a different piece of paper, if necessary. Be very familiar with your radio, loading current frequency and standby frequency as you will be changing them while flying. KEEP LOOKING OUTSIDE: that should be your main focus. Have the routes to your runway(s) highlighted so you will have at least SOME idea of where you are going. Sometimes the airplane you were just following will seem to disappear! Whaaaat? If you know where YOU are, you should do OK.

You can do this if you choose. Again: you must decide. It will be a landmark on your flying career to have accomplished that!

All of this advice you read here is just that: advice. We cannot tell you if you are ready to do this. It is UP TO YOU to make that decision. We can only suggest some helpful hints that may help you get to HOMEBUILT PARKING/CAMPING.

I will add my own little method that my son and I have used the last 2 years, coming from TX.

The RV socializing mostly happens the first weekend, so we like to come early, and leave after Wens. night airshow.

Leave TX Thurs morning, destined for New Lisbon/Mauston Airport (82C). It's 70nm almost straight West of KOSH. Has had some of the cheapest fuel in the area the last 2 years. They have a really nice rest area, courtesy car, a pavilion with BBQ grills, (free brats in the fridge one year), and you can camp there. I know once I am there, I am home free. If I am early enough on Thurs evening, I fuel up, and head East, and enter the arrival as normal. Last year at around 6pm, I was the only one in the arrival, easier than flying into my normal crowded CTAF airport.

Only caveat thought was that Thurs evening was a low (volunteer) staff time, so I actually had to call a couple different frequencies on the ground to get some sort of clearance to taxi to HBC. It ended being a back and forth of "where are you?" "oh, you know the way, just taxi over there". Also note the other threads on here about being careful where you exit and taxi into the grass, no matter what the airplane marshaller says.

If I am late, tired, or WX doesn't permit, I know I can camp there and wait out whatever I need to, then launch and "officially" enter the arrival at the western most point if needed, since I will pass all the checkpoints inbound anyway.

I fill up there, because I don't have to worry about fueling at OSH, and I will have more than enough to depart OSH, make my way back to 82C to refuel (cheap) again, then head home or to further adventures.

Thurs afternoon or evening means the NOTAM is officially in effect, but probably about as quiet as it's going to get. It's worked for me the last 2 years, and you get to enjoy the RV stuff happening at HBC starting on Friday onward.

Know your power settings for 90 knots. Practice it and practice slower.
Real life experience - a Cub slowed his airspeed down on the 36 base. I buffeted several times on the verge of a stall and recovered before the stall.

Practice slow flight and stall recovery. See above.

Get your head out of the cockpit on on a swivel.
Real life experience- I was on final for 27 and a Mooney on downwind was cleared to land #3. He immediately turned circle to final and cut me off. I avoided a mid-air and missed him by less than 50 feet by being alert. Rejoined the downwind and landed with no other issues except I was pissed and full of adrenalin. I did get a thank you from the tower. Ironically, they parked us next to each other in camping. After I cooled down, I spoke to him. Told him what happened and the color from his face drained. He said he never saw me and what he heard was cleared to land. Had he been listening, he would have also heard ATC calling when to turn base

Keep your scan going, listen and follow directions, and be prepared. See above.

There are a bunch of old salty dogs giving great advice here. Knowledge comes from experience. Just saying……

LOOK AROUND....

Get your head out of the cockpit on on a swivel. Keep your scan going, listen and follow directions, and be prepared.

As my dear Dad would say (who taught in Stearmans and Ryans during the Last Great War): 'Keep looking around. Better a sore neck than a broken one!' Even in those days...... Not the only thing I picked up from him.....:):)

Attachments

• DSC_0529r.JPG
    DSC_0529r.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 15007938_10209469366789041_918338306_o (2).jpg
    15007938_10209469366789041_918338306_o (2).jpg
    913.8 KB · Views: 116
Pay attention to all of the advice above. You can do this, but more experience will make it less stressful and concerning. Everyone had a first time once. For perspective, this is a traffic display during a recent arrival:

Attachments

• 60E7B4EF-CAF8-4108-8FD9-3D6589521253.jpeg
    60E7B4EF-CAF8-4108-8FD9-3D6589521253.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
One more thing

One more small piece of advice + other (I think) critical items...

If you haven't done much cross country, go do a flight or two hopping from one airport to another until you are comfortable going into unfamiliar airports. Finding the airport info, getting the frequencies set, checking the runways and wind direction, in short, all of the things you need to know to make a safe arrival. I always seems that a potty break, or great fuel price, diversion for weather etc. comes up while on a long cross country to an unplanned airport.
Being comfortable and flexible as you fly along makes for a enjoyable, safe experience.

Also I STRONGLY second practice at slow flight, well under 90 knots is essential. In 20 or more Oshkosh arrivals at least 50% were flown at well under 90 knots, some with extra maneuvering.
If you haven't already, go out and stall your airplane a few dozen times and learn how it handles and what the wing is telling you. When is it ready to fall out of the air, straight, turning. Take an instructor with you if you are not comfortable on the edge of sustainable flight.
Practice pattern work making every sort of arrival you can think of, soft field, short field, turning final, hold it in the air that extra 1000 yards, short approaches, long approaches, flaps, no flaps, etc.. I have had to do them all!

Great advice in this thread.
The best week of the year. Never miss it!!!!!

Leo

Frankly I’ve found flying into Oshkosh for Airventure some of the most challenging flying I’ve ever done and I have over 4,000 hours in multiple aircraft. It’s not just thoroughly knowing the NOTAM procedures, nor the extremely high volume of VFR traffic, nor watching out for your fellow airmen flying in there who aren’t following the published procedures, nor the enroute weather, nor the decision whether to divert for fuel or hold while you’re waiting to see how soon or if they’ll going to reopen the airport, nor the post landing gaggle of correctly exiting the runway to pickup a Marshaller for parking, and certainly not the ability to land on the “green dot.” It’s all of this **** combined with pilot fatigue impacting critical decision making at various stressful moments. AirVenture flying is not to be underestimated nor undertaken without careful consideration, planning, preparation and frankly experience!.

My advice, if you’re determined to fly into OSHKOSH this year take an experienced pilot on this trip who has done it before and let him/her guide you this first time.

Also don’t forget about the Oshkosh departure. That has its own challenges! Once you start taxing from parking have your aircraft ready (and you mentally ready) for immediate takeoff because once you start rolling it will come at you fast.

Well said! "... all of this **** combined with pilot fatigue impacting critical decision making at various stressful moments"

Your original question: "Am I crazy to think I can fly to Oshkosh?"

Answer: YES, but do it anyway..... You'll have the time of your life!

Camping fees need to be tripled and the arrival info page of the NOTAM should have the statement on it....... "Please sign the last page and turn it in for free camping".

Only caveat thought was that Thurs evening was a low (volunteer) staff time, so I actually had to call a couple different frequencies on the ground to get some sort of clearance to taxi to HBC. It ended being a back and forth of "where are you?" "oh, you know the way, just taxi over there". Also note the other threads on here about being careful where you exit and taxi into the grass, no matter what the airplane marshaller says.
This is very true and folks who show up 4,5 or 6 days before the opening of the show need to be aware that much of the infrastructure (parking volunteers, transportation, food) is not yet in place, so you need to be somewhat self sufficient. The volunteers start trickling in around Tuesday-Wednesday before, but we really aren't fully up to speed until Saturday.

If everyone followed the procedures, it would be easy. And I would say “go for it”. But the reality is, they don’t. Someone will cut you off, pass you, slow down in front of you, etc. And without the experience of how to handle all the unknowns, I’d recommend against it. UNLESS of course you have another experienced pilot with you.

If you do decide to try it, pick a time/day that’s less busy.

Just do it. If you’re looking for permission you have it already. It part of your pilot certificate. Get a safety pilot or educate your passenger how to call it traffic ( not scream it but do so calmly - traffic 2 o’clock low..,)

Study the Notam and practice flying at the speeds called for. Beforehand

Just do it. You got this.

...and

Practice spot landings until you are consistent; when they say land on the dot, they mean it.

All are good comments but a couple of lessons I learned:

Practice 90kts with 10-15 degrees of flaps. Yes you can have partial flaps above 87 kts on most RVs. Up to 20 degrees at 96 kts as I recall. This lowers the nose, requires more power with the added lift and drag so your engine is more responsive to throttle changes. Without flaps RVs are in transition towards slow flight. It can be done and I've done it a dozen times but like standing on a ball, it is a lot more work.

Other thing I just learned is if you have an autopilot use it to lock in altitude to 1800 so you can focus on airspeed other traffic and spacing. Once done it is amazing to see the planes bob up and down in follow the leader altitude changes in front of you. Everyone is coming in earlier now so arrival on Friday is like Sunday was 10 years or so ago. Saturday and Sunday arrival prepare to do laps around lakes especially if you time it during mass arrivals so land an hour out and fuel up and reread NOTAM for the 25th time.

At stop I monitor ATIS and make a launch call once everything appears clear. I'm always surprised that now that they moved the route so far west to Endeavor Bridge that at 1800' you can not read ATIS or FISK until about Green Lake. It appears no one can so watch for folks cutting in. They need to increase radio strength or add repeaters so everyone knows how far west to start the line.

Good luck. Once on the ground the words welcome to Oshkosh is so rewarding! Tie down, setup camp and hike to Friar Tucks for a beer.

Go early in week. And arrive early... it will be fine. There are a LOT of Youtube videos of in cockpit arrivals, lot's of info on what the ground references look from air.... Plan an all the arrivals.... if you can program your GPS with waypoints for key locations.... Memorize NOTAM. it really is no big deal... Anti Climatic.

As far as spot landing we are all are programed to land at the approach end of runway. At OSH you may have to land on numbers, mid field or 2/3rds down runway on colored dots. ALSO YOU MAY BE LANDING ON TAXIWAY.... If you are on a field with a long runway (over 4000 feet) practice landing (touch down) mid field. Remember your inital training about AIM POINT? This is a visual arrival and you will likely be FOLLOWING other planes.

CONGATS ON THE PLANE....

Last edited:
So let me get this straight..... you guys think I need to read the Notam? 😁 Don't worry, I've already read it 4 times so far. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the use of autopilot. As was suggested by Scott I would think letting the plane hold the altitude would be a big help. I was planning on that. I will be practicing holding the altitude myself just in case something happens to my autopilot.