Carlpretzel

Patron
I starting logging the beer drank during my 14 Empennage Build. Does anyone else log the amount of alcohol consumed during the build? Am I going crazy?

No, I don't think you're crazy, and...
No, I didn't log my beer consumption.

However, I do hope you mean beer consumed AFTER you had put the tools down for good each day.

Not crazy... totally unnecessary but not crazy. On a whim I added a "beers" variable to my Wordpress based build log. I do have a one beer limit... I'll drink ONE beer while building, but if the cap comes off a second bottle the tools get put away.

You guys are going to need another beer after all of that non-airplane analysis :).

The end-of-day shop beers after nailing some critical construction step taste the best. :cool:

When are you done?

In the very end of the plans for the Dragonfly airplane the designer asks, how do you know when you are done with the airplane? You turn the page and there is picture of the corner of the workshop piled high with empty cans. When your can pile is this big then you are done he answers.

Gary

Maybe Arlen. But think about it. Do you want to fly with someone under the influence? Do you want to fly in a plane built by someone under the influence? I don't. Others tolerance for this behavior or the suggestion of it may vary.
Cheers,
JMA

Old Vulcan Saying:

Too much Self Analysis may be cause for Self Analysis.

I think it's a good idea to know if you are still in control. Logging beers may be your way.
For me it was a waist-line issue. :(
It's less expensive to lose a few pounds off my body than to buy lighter aircraft components.
It's working too :D

Live long and Prosper.

Says the guy who uses RPN.

:D

Cant do without
32S.jpg

Maybe Arlen. But think about it. Do you want to fly with someone under the influence? Do you want to fly in a plane built by someone under the influence? I don't. Others tolerance for this behavior or the suggestion of it may vary.
Cheers,
JMA

I think it's safe to say there's a large difference between building while enjoying a glass of wine or a beer, versus building while inebriated.

Deburring, dimpling, scuffing or priming are some of the tasks where enjoying a nice cold beer doesn't matter, in my opinion.

I quit logging "how much" ($$/beer/time/etc) half way through the emmpennage. I feel much better with a half a$$ guesstimatation when I feel I must answer, it's not my day job.

Best way to keep track would be drink a can, cut off the top & bottom, slice it open, drill, dimple and install.
My first A&P job was a grass field in Coopersville Michigan. The local "cool guy" was on the town council, had an Aztec, a vette, 2 long legs for a wife....and no drivers license. His wife would skid up to the plane in the vette, he'd roll out along with some beer cans, into the Aztec and away he'd go. Ah, for the good old days.

You know you've drank too many beers during the build when the paint shop complains about having to sand all the beer circle stains off the top of the bare aluminum wing skins to prep them for painting.

I agree with Spark68, keep track of the cigar consumption, I just don't want to know how much that adding to the build cost. ;)

Last edited:
lawyers

If for any reason someone has a opportunity to sue you for something associated with the airplane you just made the lawyer's job so much easier.

Bad Idea

Have to agree with Paul Mosher on this one. Everyone on this forum understands the nature of your post and the issues involved, and would not draw any adverse inferences from your post or from such logbook data.

But a lawyer looking to extract money from your your family will manipulate and distort what was meant to be a humorous, casual logbook practice and present it as damning evidence that you were a drunkard during construction and probably in flight as well. LESS IS MORE when it comes to (not) preserving this kind of information .

I offer this as a builder of an RV who drank a few beers during that 9 year process, some of those during construction time, and as a civil litigation attorney who does defense work and has seen first hand what a plaintiff lawyer will try to do to fabricate a transfer of wealth from you to his/her client, with 33% being diverted to the lawyer's pocket along the way.

My trusty but dirty old 41CX logs my beers.

14310717259_28c1bf7010_c.jpg

I still have exactly this calculator that got me through Purdue Mechanical Engineering school over 25 years ago. I still use it at the hangar if needed on my RV-10 build. RPN logic is the only way to go when calculating through a complicated formula. I love my HP and was surprised to see someone else has the same good taste in calculators:).

The best $200 I ever spent. It has been through the wash/dry cycle at least 3 times and still works. RPN forever! ~gz

Last edited by a moderator:
I drink a beer per rivet! Is that bad? I have my keg right next to my compressor.... One hose to my 2X gun one hose to my beer helmet.... Hope I get this thing done before my liver fails:D