Brettc

I forgot to get alumiprep when I placed my order with aircraft spruce. Is there any local place anyone knows of where I can get it or something similar? I'm in Panama City, Fl. Thanks!

Alternate

I forgot to get alumiprep when I placed my order with aircraft spruce. Is there any local place anyone knows of where I can get it or something similar? I'm in Panama City, Fl. Thanks!

I'll probably get flamed but there's a very cheap and environmentally friendly alternative.
BonAmi cleanser. Available in almost any grocery.
The issue is removal of a very thin layer of aluminum oxide (AO). AO is hydrophobic. Nothing sticks and solvents won't remove it. I usually scotchbrite with maroon, then just before priming, scrub the surface with gray scotchbrite and BonAmi. Rinse and it's clean and ready for Alodine or primer. No touching. Aluminum oxide begins forming immediately regardless of the process used to remove it so the window for treatment is only a couple hours.

I live in Tampa and went to Home Depot and found it in the paint section. I think it was called Etch-Prime or Etch-Prep or something like that. One gallon was about half the cost of regular Alumi-prep.

+1 for Bon Ami. I tried it with some white Scotch Brite and after rinsing the parts look identical to parts coming out of an Alumiprep bath.