butch

Well Known Member
I am needing some assistance. Two years ago, I recall reading an article regarding an RV6/7 with an aluminum chevy V8 as a power plant. The article was wrote up in Kitplane or Custom Plane magazine and it was a shoot out regarding this motor and a Lycoming 180. Is there anyone that can tell me the month and magazine this article was in?

Thanks for your help!!

Jim (Butch)
RV7
Ready to order finishing kit

The article was in Custom Planes and covered the LS-1 powered RV7 conversion by Predator Aviation. Nothing ever came of it apparently and their website does not mention much about it. Way too heavy for a -7 but if I remember, it would exceed redline in level flight at something like 22 inches and 3400 rpm probably making it the fastest -7 ever built. Climb was something crazy like 4000 fpm. It even had a/c for hot days. I don't think weight was ever mentioned though.

Interesting experiment but probably not too practical.

Predator Aviation is building two RV-10's with the Vesta V-8 in it. He has already received the engines. The LS1 is too heavy for use in a -7. It also has far too much power. I am putting one of the Vesta V-8's in my plane. We will probably have one of the fastest RV-10's. I am not putting it in for speed though. I wanted a/c and to run on mogas. I also wanted to climb out of any airport on a extremely hot day with out any problems. I fly a Grumman Tiger now and it scares that **** out of me on hot days and short runways with full fuel(Not anywhere near gross weight either.) There is also another forum here in which the V-8 was discussed in length by many. either Predator or I will be the first RV-10's to fly with this engine. Our goal is to be airborne and tested before Sun-N-Fun.

Cool, keep us up to date on your -10 and the engine installation. Maybe we can compare numbers at 18,000 feet. (I know I'd lose at lower altitude.)

TSwezey said:
...either Predator or I will be the first RV-10's to fly with this engine. Our goal is to be airborne and tested before Sun-N-Fun.
Yes, please keep us up to date. Lots of interest here also.