dacrunk

I'm New Here
Does anyone have a source other than Hartzell for the 835-54P aluminum spinner?
Also, has anyone used this unit on a RV-8?
I had an aluminum spinner for my last -8, but I can't find the 10 year old receipt. I purchased it from another source at a substantial savings over Hartzell's price.
Thanks,
Jim Crunkleton

Still trying to find a Hartzell aluminum spinner

Mike,
I guess I'm back to square one as the Hartzell 835-54P will not fit the RV-8, in spite of what Hartzell says.
That spinner mounts to the ring gear and the -8 needs a hub mounted spinner.
Oh well, back to the aerodrome to see if I can spot one that will fit.
Jim Crunkleton

Spinner

I have one.
It came off a mooney with a porsche engine. there is not a scratch or dent in it, and it mounts to the hub. I was thinking of using it on my -4 when I up grade the prop to C/S
But I would sell it

Last edited:
<<That spinner mounts to the ring gear and the -8 needs a hub mounted spinner.>>

You can do it, just need to mod the cowl. Been there, done that.

Cowl Mod

<<That spinner mounts to the ring gear and the -8 needs a hub mounted spinner.>>

You can do it, just need to mod the cowl. Been there, done that.

OK Dan,
Spill the beans. How involved is the cowl mod? I assume you have to reshape the area around the crankshaft hole?
Charlie Kuss

Charlie,
The one I did was actually for a McCauley, but I think the Hartzell spinner mounting is pretty much the same....big 'ole dishpan between the ring gear carrier and the spinner. You just need a larger hole for the dishpan. Don't want to lose stiffness in the cowl nose, so extra plies of glass are required.

My buddy wanted a 14" spinner and had already butchered the cowl nose, so I built a whole new nose, inlet-to-inlet.

Dan,
The ring gear carrier hole pattern is 11" out to out which would require removing LOTS of the cowl. I guess you could stiffen it with kevlar rope, but that's not for me. (How does anyone build a glass airplane!)
My hat's off to you for your buddy's rebuild.
I know Hartzell makes a spinner that will fit the -8 as I had one....I just don't remember the model number.
Jim Crunkleton