jpurban

Can I use typical Aluminum Oxide sanding paper/belts/discs when working with aircraft aluminum?

I ask because someone mentioned to me that AlO2 paper caused corrosion on Aluminum. Didn't make sense to me. So, I thought I'd verify with the folks on the forum.

Aluminum Oxide

Aluminum oxide is fine and is specifically listed in AC 43.13-1b as an approved abrasive.

Mike

Alum Oxide sandpaper

I thought Alum Oxide sand paper is the only sandpaper you should use on alum... That's certainly what other builders more experienced than I are telling me

I think you can use silicon carbide too, but it tends to leave a gray tint because the particles get imbedded in the aluminum. The AC 43.13-1B says it can be used for corrosion removal among a few other choices in section 6-26. I suppose if one is getting a plane ready for prime or paint, aluminum oxide is probably going to be the best choice.

For not what to use the AC 43.13-1B says no ?steel wool, emery cloth, steel wire brushes (except stainless steel brush) copper alloy brushes, rotary wire brushes, or severe abrasive materials.?

carbon is bad

I've been told that black sandpaper is bad, as it is carbon based and the carbon promotes corrosion. The tan silicon paper is good. Scotchbright pads are way better that any sandpaper though.

Some of the scotch brite pads are made from silicon carbide too though, while others are made from aluminum oxide. Would those be okay? This chart lists which color has what material in it for the 3M scotch brite pads, and also lists the grit. For some reason it didn?t list the green colored ones, don't know if 3M uses that one or not.