RickWoodall

Well Known Member
More questions....they just seem to keep coming up at this point.

Why, when we spend over $20K on an engine are there aluminum oil lines??

Fuel lines we spend a fortune on and we can shut off. Oil will keep pumping if the fan is turning...yet they are done in cheap soft fast to burn aluminum??? Why not stainless or sleeved?

Doesnt this seem goofy? An oil fire would not be fun and my oil return lines were actually leaky at the rubber to aluminum transition when shipped. I tightened the clamps up but this just seems like a weak spot. No?

:confused:

The only place I can think of that aluminum is used for oil lines is the drain/return lines from the rockerbox. There is absolutely no pressure there and in many decades of Lycomings, I've never heard of a failure.

Having said that, it's experimental. If you are uncomfortable with aluminum, then by all means, replace it with stainless steel.

Last edited:
Thanks Mel

Yes its just the return lines, but still seemed odd to me that its soft aluminum. Did a forum search and seems many are worried the safety wire often used on baffle bottoms will rub through it. Figured stainless would be wise and not really add any weight but...I will use safety wire with rubber hose sleeve.

Always enjoy your posts and knowledge. If you say its good...works for me. Build on. Thanks Mel.

Did a forum search and seems many are worried the safety wire often used on baffle bottoms will rub through it.
Typically when safety wire is used on the baffles,it is sheathed with a nylon tubing similar to the "Nylo-Seal" tubing used in the brake system. It's pretty tough.

aluminum lines

The 0 320 and parallel valve 0 360 use the same aluminum rocker drain tubes. However the connector hoses are different part numbers, the O 360 hose is more than 1/2" longer. Most of the leaks come from old connector hoses, or hoses that are too short or not positioned properly.
A much better deal on the lower baffle ties is to use 1/8 diameter 4130 rod threaded on both ends. An offset can be bent into the rods to gain clearance on the oil tubes, as well as a nyla flow tube shroud around the rod. This is a standard Pitts setup and the rods could probably be purchased from Pitts.