npowell

Well Known Member
I am preparing to paint my RV-9A with Stewart Systems paint. I am very pleased with how well my sample came out. I am both excited and fearful of doing my own paint job.

One question. Are most people who use Stewart Systems paint using the aluminum etch, or just cleaning the aluminum thoroughly. I am hearing so much about difficulty with getting the etching material totally cleaned from the seams, etc., that I am almost leary of using it.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Neal Powell
RV-9A

Not to worry...

You should rinse with water and that should clear out most of the etch. Then either blow it with air or just let it dry. The etch is about as powerfull as vinegar, so don't worry about it eating holes in anything :eek:

check out Stewart Systems' YouTube Channel

Stewart Systems has some videos up on YouTube describing the process. The salient point reiterated numerous times was never to let the etching chemical dry on the aluminum. After etching, the recommended procedure was to rinse with a pressure-washer. The videos showed a fairly luxurious working environment, with all the necessary equipment, space, and lighting. After seeing that and knowing my shop configuration, I'd definitely skip the etching step.

But the videos are very informative as to the rest of the process as well, covering priming as well as final coat.

http://www.youtube.com/stewartsystems

I used the etch on a panel that had no rivets, just one aluminum panel.

First I used Stewart's cleaner and when I rinsed, the water still beaded up. Then I etched and the water filmed out just like it is supposed to.

I talked to Dan at Arlington, because I am also concerned about getting all the etch out as well as the rinse water. On my QB fuselage, I found some light corrosion where parts came pop riveted together (of course Van's never heard of that happening, but that's what they said about gear legs that didn't fit the mounts--I can't believe that I am the only one to have strange things happen to my kit) so I am concerned. The fuse never got wet at my place and the wash primer should have helped some, but it corroded anyway.

Dan said to blow out the seams and rivet head areas with compressed air and we both acknowledged that planes that are left unpainted somehow dry out after flying thru the rain.

A couple tips: My panel didn't get the sheen it should have had. I had about 40 ft. of air line to my spray area with 4 quick disconnects. Dan said my system couldn't keep up the air flow (Duh! I should have thought of that!) and to use only a single disconnect. I am considering a medium duty garden hose for the first 40 feet to keep the air flow up, then down to a regular air line.

Order your viscosity cup when you order your paint--only one paint store here carries a viscosity cup and wanted to sell me a Sata brand for $56. Stewart carries the Duponts for a few bucks and if you order separately, the shipping will run more than the cup.

I sprayed on a warm day and got a little more part B in the mix than I should have--the scale didn't keep up even with my very slow pouring rate. On the 4th crosscoat, I started getting little glops out of the gun and when I cleaned the gun, which I did as soon as I finished spraying, the paint was starting to set up. I'll have to clean some of the parts with their Ekostrip. Dan says to keep your distilled water in the refrigerator to extend the time. Fortunately, the piece I sprayed won't show much unless someone lies on their back.

This was a good exercise with their paint & I am glad I did it. Fortunately it was on an interior part and not the whole plane.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I have already viewed the videos, including the new CD. I already have the paint, and am ready to start. I am just worried about getting all of the etch out of seams, mainly on the fuse.

I certainly know the etch helps, but if not done correctly, it also can hurt the project.

Today I am going to begin painting some tail parts, with the etch, and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your comments.

Neal

Stewarts System paints

Keep us posted on how it goes... I have to make some painting decisions soon too.....