flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Just finishing an install for altitude hold. The manual emphasizes a "still" aircraft while initializing the gyro.
Is it possible, in smooth air, to reset and have the gyro still be happy?
Anyone who has actually tried it, please chime in.
Thanks !

Just finishing an install for altitude hold. The manual emphasizes a "still" aircraft while initializing the gyro.
Is it possible, in smooth air, to reset and have the gyro still be happy?
Anyone who has actually tried it, please chime in.
Thanks !

I have done this in smooth air and it seemed ok but because of forgetting to turn it?s panel switch on once in a while, I replaced the switch with a push pull CB so now it goes on with the AC master and has initialized itself while everything else gets ready to go, and it still will be an emergency off switch. Works great this way, for 900 hrs anyway. when messing with the panel I pull the CBs on all unnecessary stuff anyway as I?m sure you do. Just throwing an idea out there. Larry

Altrak

Larry, thanks for that !
I do like the idea of a pullable breaker for emergency use.
Not sure how sophisticated a "gyro" they built in the box. Would be curious to know how they integrate static pressure changes and pitch changes to derive a command to the servo.
I have seen comments where some builders put the brain box behind the panel.
Seems better to have it near the axis of rotation.
Otherwise the box is actually rising AND rolling in the pitch axis during a climb.
Small delta.... but I have seen the static pressure devices in a lab... change altitude when you lift them a foot !!