Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Hello all,

For those of you flying with wing levelers. With the autopilot coupled and always on course how often do you find that you have to make altitude corrections in flight? In other words do you think that altitude hold is truly beneficial?

For those who started with wing levelers and later added altitude hold: Was it worth it? What benefits did you see if any? Would you do it again?

I'm installing an EZ Pilot and am just curious how well it will fly level if in trim without course corrections disrupting everything. How about in turbulance?

Thanks,
Bryan 9A

Bryan Wood said:
...In other words do you think that altitude hold is truly beneficial?
Hey Bryan,

If I could only choose one I would choose altitude hold. It is SOOOO helpful. I just flew over 20hrs from Texas to Idaho and back and only used the altitude hold (and I was lead). Being able to roll the plane a bit for a picture is nice.

Of course, there are times when having both axis engaged is nice, but I don't use the heading hold all that often (lunch, bathroom, map fold, etc). Having said all that I would not fly IFR without a dual axis autopilot - I would consider it required equipment.

Best always,

Last edited:
In an RV in IFR Altitude Hold is Almost Essential

I flew my RV-6A for 10 or 15 hours of IFR before installing the Trutrak Pictorial Pilot (Course) and Altrak (altitude) and I was sweating bullits. The difference is so great I am getting comfortable again with them in place. Altrak is totally independent of anything except electricity and static air source. You level off at the altitude you want to be at and push the "ALT" button. It nails it! The thing you have to remember is to trim it for level flight before you push the button so as not to waste energy and efficiency with Altrak fighting an out of trim airplane - it will do it but thats bad form. Push the button again and you have the airplane back for pitch control. With it on you can over power it but you very well know it is upset with you. The RV is very responsive to pitch and it has a tendency to be all over the sky if you do not pay attention - like when you change charts or have to copy amendments to your clearance.

I wouldn't go quite as far as Doug, my 3" Pictorial Pilot is pretty awesome. I'm sure your autopilot will be very useful to you as well.

Bob Axsom

Altitude Hold

I recently put in a Altrak and now wonder what I was thinking when I did not put it in before. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! It makes looking at charts and other task so much easier (and safer).

Not essential for VFR

To answer your question about how often you need to re-trim in-route -- not much.

I have a single-axis autopilot hooked up to my GPS. For VFR cross-country, it's all I need. In clear air, I've flown for hours on elevator trim alone. Can't say the same about ailerons, though. It's a real hassle to try and study a sectional without the wing leveler.

I vote for both. In addition to long cross countries, the altitude hold is excellent for transitioning through twenty miles of Class B airspace. It allows you to scan for other traffic, reference charts, etc, while remaining at the ATC designated altitude.... easily.

My experience so far, is with the Altrack, which worked great.

L.Adamson

Hi There,
Trutrak has just introduced the ALTRAK VS. It is the same Altrak as before, but with vertical speed adjustment. Trutrak has both units on sale, the ALTRAK for $1495 and ALTRAK VS for $1895.
Any more questions visit the Trutrak booth at OSH or go to my webpage at http://www.rvtraining.com/html/specials.html for the OSH Specials

Alex D

I'd like some more input on a related note for you people who have upgraded to a second axis AP in your aircraft:

What I'm wondering is if it might be preferred to combine the two AP functions into one control as with the DGII, or install them to be totally separate functions as with the DigiTrac and the Altrak installed as independant units?

That is, if a person already has the DigiTrak and wants to add vertical hold AP, it appears that it doesn't make any difference (in practical operation) whether you trade in the DigiTrak for a DGII or just add the Altrak to sit next to the DigiTrak. Is that right? It appears that either AP can operate independently whether both are in the one DGII head or actually ARE independent as with a DigiTrak and Altrak side by side.

Altrak it totally independent

All you have on the panel is a pushbutton light/switch. I have my aircraft power connected through a 470 Ohm resister to one terminal, another termninal is connected to ground and two wires run through the control tunnel back to the controller back behind the elevator bellcrank. There are 5 wires running between the controller and the servo and each unit has a power and ground wire. The controller which is around the size of a pack of cigarettes has everything in it as far as references are concerned. It has a static port that I flew without connection to the aircraft static system and it seemed to be fine as TruTrak said it would be but I eventually connected it to the aircraft static system through a "T" in the line running forward to the instrument panel. It doesn't know about and doesn't care about any other axis autopilot system in the airplane. I installed Pictorial Pilot for the course control function in my airplane (roll control/aileron).

Bob Axsom

If it's a choice between the two, I would still take the roll-axis autopilot for one reason. I find that flying instrument approaches is easier with a wing leveler. It holds a heading better than I do - I just turn the airplane with the autopilot then let it hold heading while I concentrate on my next fix. If I were starting over I would certainly install altitude hold, but I don't find it essential.