jjconstant

Well Known Member
I keep getting altitude alerts on my GRT Horizon 1 (WS) and I'm brain-dead in figuring out how to turn them off. I know I can set an altutude bug above the altimeter tape by turning the right knob. I thought that by selecting "0" it turned it off, but I still keep getting "check altitude" warnings. Where are they coming from?

In the past testing I just inhibited the warning, but when I got to testing my auto pilot (TT digiflight II GSVG), when turning it on, it immediately commanded a dive. Talked with TT, did the pull the tail down test and the elevator didn't move and then sent it back for repairs. It should be back tomorrow, but in thinking about it, the failure mode should have resulted in no elevator movement, rather than a commanded dive. This got me to thinking that it may be getting altitude commands from somewhere.

My testing plan is to turn off the EFIS in flight, turn off the other GPS so there is nothing that can be sending altitude commands and then test and calibrate the autopilot. If that works, I'm still left with the pesky "check altitude" warnings.

Any ideas?

Jeremy Constant

Last edited:
In the GRT options, there is an item for "inhibit altitude alerts" or something like that. I have mine set to never alert on any kind of altitude.

With the autopilot, do you mean it dove when simply engaged and NOT coupled to the efis nav source? Or did it 'dive' when coupled to the GRT efis lateral nav solution, ie. that is the new intended operation to follow the vertical selected (in your case, probably 0 altitude).

inhibit

has been what I've been doing, but from the main screen when the "msg" light comes on. I would love to be able to have it when I want it, without having to go into the general setup page, enable it, save it, go back, and then set the altitude bug...by that time I'll have forgotten the altitude!:p

The AP dove when I engaged it, straight and level, no bank, no climb or descent. I did NOT have GPSS annunciated in the autopilot and I thought the only time it would aim at an altitude was if GPSS was annunciated and there was a preselected altitude. It was simply in track mode with the blinking + sign.

I should be getting the AP back soon and when (if) the weather gets better, I'll test it, both with efis and gps off and then on.

Jeremy

If you are tired of the altitude alerts and aren't using it with the autopilot, just set the commanded altitude to 20,000', and since you never reach it, you won't get alarms for deviating from it. If you have it set at "0", then every time you climb through 300 feet, you'll get the alarm because you are "off altitude".

Paul

It hadn't quite gotten through to me that the deviation alarm was triggered only by being too high compared to the bug!:eek:

20,000ft it is -- thanks Paul:)

Jeremy