fred

my altimeter is indicating 400 ft high(560 ft with field elev 150 ft and correct altimeter setting). I got back from a xc trip monday and landed vfr in between rain showers. taxiied in and put airplane up without noticing any altimeter error, although i can't remember actually noticing the altimeter reading. Went back out to airport yesterday and altimeter is incorrect. airplane is hangared, it sat outside for three days while gone, but was indicating correct altitude when i departed for home. i have disconnected static airline to altimeter and it stays the same. also blew out static line. highest altitude coming home was 8000'. airplane has one year and 128 hours on it and up til now altimeter has been ok. anyone have any ideas. thanks fred

What model

What model? Is it a low price model?

First idea: if your altimeter is sticking or off, cycle the baro set knob to the high low limit and tap on the face (not too hard). If it is off as bad as you say, it is BAD. 75 feet is acceptable limit, even 100 feet for VFR, but not as much as you stated. I expect my altimeters to be very close to field elev by 10-20 feet typ.

Another choice is take it out and bring it to an aircraft instrument shop. My experience with instrument shops and repairing instruments is that it is expensive, and they never really ever work well again. You end up taking it out again for another tune up again, costing more money. Consider just buying a high quality TSO (not China made) altimeter. It will save you a lot of time and effort. Cut your losses and buy a new one and sell the old one as a core. G

Last edited: