jim miller

Well Known Member
My Colt has a Niagra alternator kit using the Nippon Densco 100211-1680.
It is made to turn CW and has worked great the last 5 years. I seem to
remember a similar model number that is made to turn CCW which I would
prefer to put on my RV3 wiith a larger pulley also. Does anyone know of a
Nippon Dencso alternator of about 40 to 50 amps that normally turns CCW?

Thanks
Jim Miller

You're looking at it wrong

My Colt has a Niagra alternator kit using the Nippon Densco 100211-1680.
It is made to turn CW and has worked great the last 5 years. I seem to
remember a similar model number that is made to turn CCW which I would
prefer to put on my RV3 wiith a larger pulley also. Does anyone know of a
Nippon Dencso alternator of about 40 to 50 amps that normally turns CCW?

Thanks
Jim Miller

Jim,
FYI, clockwise and counter clockwise [and left and right] are always viewed from the pilot or driver's location, NOT looking at the alternator or engine from the front. Most car engines rotate CCW. Lycomings and 4 cylinder Honda engines rotate CW. I realize it's just semantics, but it causes a great deal of confusion. You want a clockwise rotating alternator off of a 4 cylinder Honda. Honda V-6 engines rotate CCW. Honda alternators up to 1983 are use external voltage regulators. 1984 & up are internally regulated.
Charlie
PS Tell the parts guy at the auto parts store that the Civic or Accord has air conditioning. That way, he won't give you a 30 or 35 amp alternator. ND alternators up to 1989 use a round plug for the field wiring. 1990 and newer have an oval plug.

Last edited:
FYI, clockwise and counter clockwise [and left and right] are always viewed from the pilot or driver's location
True for pumps & alternator. Opposite for rear mounted magnetos. I don't know why.

alternator info

Jim,
FYI, clockwise and counter clockwise [and left and right] are always viewed from the pilot or driver's location, NOT looking at the alternator or engine from the front. Most car engines rotate CCW. Lycomings and 4 cylinder Honda engines rotate CW. I realize it's just semantics, but it causes a great deal of confusion. You want a clockwise rotating alternator off of a 4 cylinder Honda. Honda V-6 engines rotate CCW. Honda alternators up to 1983 are use external voltage regulators. 1984 & up are internally regulated.
Charlie
PS Tell the parts guy at the auto parts store that the Civic or Accord has air conditioning. That way, he won't give you a 30 or 35 amp alternator. ND alternators up to 1989 use a round plug for the field wiring. 1990 and newer have an oval plug.

Thanks Charlie for this clear and precise information.
Remy