newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
We are getting ready to head out for Ft. Myers, FL Thursday. One of the last things on my to do list was to change the oil in Sky Terrier. During the engine run to heat up the oil my Plane Power alternator picked that time to quit working. After considerable searching through the archives, I decided to replace my Plane Power alternator with a Lester 14870 model; simply because I can obtain one locally and still be ready to leave Thursday.

When buying the 14870 at O'Reilly's, the counter person helping me said I could take the internals from the new alternator and put them in the Plane Power case; even including pressing out the old bearing and putting the new one in the Plane power case. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited:
Why would you take the junk parts out of an $80 used alternator and install them in a $400 low time alternator?...... And definitely not the bearings or brushes!!!!

Just take it to your local alternator shop and have it tested...... You just might be surprised.

Hey Steve,
I'd just install the 14870 and never look back!
You may have to enlarge one of the mounting holes in the alternator.
I had to.

I've got 780 hours on mine:) (knock on wood)

Mark

Hey Steve,
I'd just install the 14870 and never look back!
You may have to enlarge one of the mounting holes in the alternator.
I had to.

I've got 780 hours on mine:) (knock on wood)

Mark

I am pretty sure the 14870 is going in tomorrow. The Plane Power died after 400 hours and there isn't time to get another one in here before we want to head to Florida.

The reason for asking about replacing the innerds in the Plane Power is that would get me back in the air the quickest. Modifying the attach hardware to mount the 14870 and finding the correct belt would be the second quickest and waiting for a replacement Plane Power alternator would take the longest time.

We can discuss the relative merits of the different alternators at breakfast next Wednesday in Sebring. We will be at the 9:00 setting :D

We are getting ready to head out for Ft. Myers, FL Thursday. One of the last things on my to do list was to change the oil in Sky Terrier. During the engine run to heat up the oil my Plane Power alternator picked that time to quit working. After considerable searching through the archives, I decided to replace my Plane Power alternator with a Lester 14870 model; simply because I can obtain one locally and still be ready to leave Thursday.

When buying the 14870 at O'Reilly's, the counter person helping me said I could take the internals from the new alternator and put them in the Plane Power case; even including pressing out the old bearing and putting the new one in the Plane power case. Has anyone tried this?
I ended up taking my alternator to a local auto electric shop and they replaced the stater. Sky Terrier is back together and test flown with no squawks. We are out of here Thursday if the front passes or Friday.

Plane Power actually had a loaner alternator on the shipping dock for me waiting the outcome of the test flight. Can't say enough nice things about Plane Power going the extra mile to help us keep our schedule.

You can't get a Plane Power alternator at Auto Zone but you can get them worked on at an old fashioned Auto Electric repair shop. You know, one of those places that actually understand how something works and how to fix them. They got my Air Boat alternator going in short order.