rvbuilder1

I am in the process of installing an auto alternator and I am unable to find any "clear" instructions on how to handle this problem

1) The alternator has a plug on the rear with three spade blades. 1 is horz and the other 2 are vertical.
2) The plug previously used on this alternator on an airplane has 2 wires that were cut.
3) There is a diagram on the alternator case with the letters
1) On top "D" for the Horz connection
2) Left side "Ing" for the left Vertical connection
3) Right side "L" for the right Vertical connection
I believe the last two of these stand for Ignition, light, unsure of the "D"

In the reading I have been doing it apperars that the "Ing and the "L" get a jumper between them and then the external voltage regulator Field wire is attached here. The easy part is the "B" terminal is marked

Can anybody help here?

Thanks
John

Since nobody has replied to your question I'll give it a shot. ASSUMING you have an alternator similar to Vans standard 60 AMP unit which is what I have, the 2 cut wires you mentioned should remain cut and not connected to anything, not jumpered together either. The remaining vertical tab connection (left side when viewing from rear) is the field connection and the color of the wire on my plug is green. The two cut wires that are not connected are colored blue and red. The output of the alternator comes off the 1/4 inch terminal stud.

I can also scan and email you Vans install drawing for the 60 AMP alternator if that would help, will need an email address.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Alternator Wiring

Message to Ted Johns
Thanks for the schematic. This is not an ND alternator. Name has been worn off so don't know mfg.
From your schematic and wiring instructions it appears the "L" wire (right prong) is connected to a light on the panel then a fuse and then to the "ING wire. This line is then connected to the starter (ING) switch for power. Not sure if it goes to the starter switch on the panel or if goes through one of the contactors (Batt or starter) such as the "S" terminal on the master or the "S" terminal on the starter contactor, or the "I" terminal on the starter contactor: or if it connects to another point of power such as the "master switch" on the panel (cessna type") any clarification here?

thanks
John

Taking the alternator to the local alternator rebuild shop or auto parts store may yield an ID. If it's not possible to identify the alternator, don't use it. This is an airplane you're working on, not a go-kart. Purchase an alternator with known parentage and proceed from there.

Just my opinion, others may vary.