So,

My partner replaced our alternator on our RV-6 with a Honda alternator. Subseqently the voltage regulator (I pretty sure, sense i get plenty of voltage coming out of the alternator and none with the regulator connected). went out. The person who build the plane said it was Vans voltage regulator. Its black with only 3 hook ups, an IGN, FLD and gorunding post

I cannot find the same one on Vans's website. So, I am looking of an inexpensive voltage regulator solution/replacement. I saw some posts about running the old Ford regulators (picking one up from the Autoparts store). But the problem is they have I A S F hook ups. I do not understand how to wire that into my excisting system.

I thought that all I needed to have is a supply through the alt switch the field going to the alt and a ground.

Anybody know how to go about this.

Thanks,
Scott
N776RV RV-6
Panel rebuild

Scott,

Here's the hookup for the generic "Ford" regulator:
  • I -- no connection
  • A -- jumpered to "S"
  • S -- jumpered to "A", also connected to your alternator switch from the field CB
  • F -- connect to field terminal of your alternator
  • case -- securely bonded to ground (i.e. mount on firewall and insure good electrical bonding)
Don't take a shortcut on grounding the case -- a high-resistance or intermittent ground can cause squirrely alternator output. So can a bad connection on the A/S and F terminals too for that matter.

--
Joe

Joe,

Thanks! Thats is perfect. The one before was mounted on the instrument subpanel with a grounding wire. With a good grounding wire, would that work?

Thanks again,

Scott

With a good grounding wire, would that work?

Scott, yes, a good grounding wire connected to the case will work just fine.

The use of an external star washer between the ground
wire's ring terminal and the regulator's case would be ideal.
ExtLockStarWshr.gif

Glad to help.

--
Joe

Worked like a charm

Joe,

I have it all installed and it works like a charm. Puts out a solid 14.5-14.3 volts. A lot cheaper than going with the Plane Power internally regulated or buy one of the certified regulators.

Thanks for the help,

Scott