GEM930

Well Known Member
Friend
I posted to an older thread about this, but realized it was the rv-10 section only. I'm reposting here in hopes that I might get a larger audience. I looking for an underdrive pulley the standard Lester part # 14684 alternator. Any ideas where to find one or suggestions on size???

Thanks guys! (and gals)!

I posted to an older thread about this, but realized it was the rv-10 section only. I'm reposting here in hopes that I might get a larger audience. I looking for an underdrive pulley the standard Lester part # 14684 alternator. Any ideas where to find one or suggestions on size???

Thanks guys! (and gals)!

Are you looking for a larger pulley for the alternator?

Yes, Appearently the standard pully the Lester comes with drives the alternator much faster than need be when used with the large lycoming flywheel.

Installing a larger pulley will likely require a new belt and may also cause interference with the cowl (I know clearance on the 7 is very close between cowl and pulley).

Pulley

I have a 3" (might be 3 1/4") 15 mm shaft pulley. It is at home, so can't measure it. Let me know if you are interested.

If its 3.25 I might be, let me know. Also please measure the width of the flat area at the bottom of the "v".
Thx!

I installed a stainless steel pad on the cowl

I have the later RV-6A cowl and the standard pulley clears it when it is just sitting in the hangar but I noticesd markings where there had been pulley to cowl contact and knew it was only a matter of time before the cowl was penetrated. I cut off the blade of a SS butter knife and glued it to the inside of the cowl with structural adhesive over the contact marks. Now several years later there is a grove worn in the SS. My neighbor has a slot cut completely through his RV-6A cowl by the alternator pulley. Compared to the airplane, alternators are a throw away part and I would not try to save it at the risk of damaging the cowl.

Bob Axsom

I have the later RV-6A cowl and the standard pulley clears it when it is just sitting in the hangar but I noticesd markings where there had been pulley to cowl contact and knew it was only a matter of time before the cowl was penetrated. I cut off the blade of a SS butter knife and glued it to the inside of the cowl with structural adhesive over the contact marks. Now several years later there is a grove worn in the SS. My neighbor has a slot cut completely through his RV-6A cowl by the alternator pulley. Compared to the airplane, alternators are a throw away part and I would not try to save it at the risk of damaging the cowl.

Bob Axsom

I've seen many a cowl with a little "bump" for the alternator pulley - in fact, I've installed a couple of those bumps. Very simple fiberglass work, and you just put it where the groove tells you to....;)

Hidden bump!

I've seen many a cowl with a little "bump" for the alternator pulley - in fact, I've installed a couple of those bumps. Very simple fiberglass work, and you just put it where the groove tells you to....;)

And very few people even notice the bump! :) A tennis ball with wax paper makes a great bump shaper, pressed into the soft fiberglass from inside of the cowling.

If its 3.25 I might be, let me know. Also please measure the width of the flat area at the bottom of the "v".
Thx!

It's 3 1/4 diameter, 15mm shaft, the bottom of the v measures 5 mm.
It's new, bought it for mine, but couldn't use it for clearance reasons.

Different strokes ...

Add bumps to the outside surface - REALLY? I guess if you're going with a larger diameter pulley that is the only serious option.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Pulley Blister

Bob- It would be my guess that a small, properly done "blister" on the cowl would not add enough drag to the airframe to be measurable.

It's 3 1/4 diameter, 15mm shaft, the bottom of the v measures 5 mm.
It's new, bought it for mine, but couldn't use it for clearance reasons.

I believe it's smaller then the bottom "v" of my fly wheel. Would that make a difference ??? I think I would on getting the proper belt (width). I think my flywheel is 8-10mm, I'll check.

I believe it's smaller then the bottom "v" of my fly wheel. Would that make a difference ??? I think I would on getting the proper belt (width). I think my flywheel is 8-10mm, I'll check.

The width of the flat at the bottom of a "V" pulley is irrelevant as long as the sides of the "V" contact the sides of the belt.

The belt should never touch the bottom of the "V"

This pulley is for a 10 mm belt.

You can have the pulley, just pay shipping.
call me at five seven five six three five six one nine one

So there no differences in belt widths??? When I initially started look for a pully at an alternator shop. The first thing he did is measure the width. Now I'm confused!