miyu1975

Well Known Member
Here is the spot where the boss mount for my PP alt to go...but as I you can see I do not 2 matching holes to bolt the alt boss mount unto the engine. this engine previously had a generator which was removed and won't be coming back...Can anyone help me here.... what am I missing? You will notice that there are 3 case bolts missing in the pic..I am assuming that these spots were use to hold the generator.

Also, the other pic is the starter platform. It has 3 studs screwed in already but one appears to be missing. I have seen other engines like this too. Anyone know which thread bolt I need to screw into it.? I just bought a new skytech HT starter and would like to install it.

P1020229.JPG

boss mount
P1020231.JPG

P1020230.JPG

Ryan,

If I interpret your photos correctly, that square boss is for your starter - you do NOT have a boss for the alternator. You'll need a case-type alternator mount - not the one you have.

Paul

prop governor line

Is that metal tube the prop governor line? If so, if it's aluminum you should switch it for the stainless steel version. The aluminum ones have been known to crack, leading to a pressing need to find a place to land quickly.

starter

Lyc hardware is very expensive. If you want to use Lyc or clone hardware:
Bolt LW-31-1.09
Plain washers(4) STD-35
Lock washers(4) STD-475 OR MS35333-41

all currently listed at aeroinstock.com

Is that metal tube the prop governor line? If so, if it's aluminum you should switch it for the stainless steel version. The aluminum ones have been known to crack, leading to a pressing need to find a place to land quickly.

Where do I get the stainless steel version?..aircraftspruce?

tried these....currently out of stock.. will keep looking

Bolt LW-31-1.09
Plain washers(4) STD-35

tried these....currently out of stock.. will keep looking

Bolt LW-31-1.09
Plain washers(4) STD-35

I didn't have one either- my Superior clone engine was supplied with a hose for that purpose. While it would've worked, finding a decent routing was a pain. So I made my own from a piece of stainless tubing and various steel fitting parts, all sourced from Aircraft Spruce.

I used my tubing bender and my Parker Roloflair tools to make it. Since I didn't want to trash a piece of relatively expensive stainless tubing, I made one out of the flexible 3/8" aluminum tubing that came with the kit first, then copied it. Since you already have the tube, you can use it as a model.

The reasons I figured yours was aluminum was because of (a) the tubing color and (b) the blue color -diagnostic for aluminum AN fittings- of the fitting on the block.

Yah, you'll want to change that gov line & fittings. Also there's an AD on those lines. You'll want to look it up. Press on.

The reasons I figured yours was aluminum was because of (a) the tubing color and (b) the blue color -diagnostic for aluminum AN fittings- of the fitting on the block.

And for sure..........change the blue AN aluminum fittings to steel. I know of one that just recently cracked, while in flight. Engine okay, but big mess in the cowl and on the ramp.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

are the blue AN fittings steel or aluminum...here is pic of where the prop gov line goes into the case?

P1020232.JPG

Here is a picture of the mount you need to order from Van's for the alternator:

(Click to enlarge)

Back in 2006 it was $11 from Van's, not counting longer bolts, if required.