guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: Last Saturday, 20 minutes after departure, my alternator quit, 0 amps and 11.9 volts and dropping. Returning to Reno-Stead I removed the confirmed failed unit (900 hours-5 years, aviation isle of Kragen Auto Parts ) and proceded to the aviation isle of O'Riellys. I was able to duplicate the alternator as a 1986 Suzuki Samurai 14870 made by Ultima. It fit perfectly and the included pulley lined up with the Lycoming starter ring. It is a refurbished lifetime 70A unit for $88 plus change. Now before you start, I know what it is and where it came from and what to expect. The original Van's unit lasted 26 hours, the second as mentioned above, 900+ hours, and the fan rotated the wrong way, but it had a blast tube on the diode pack. I figure my time is free, and I can replace several of the lifetime warranty "auto quality" units for less than 1/3 the cost of one "approved good" units without a lifetime warranty. I'm also the guy who uses car gas (91 RON) with ethanol, what else could you expect from a guy like me? Dan

Dan - I have been running a 14870 in my RV-Samurai for 970 hrs now. Only issue I ran into was a break in the connector wire b/c I did not support the wire in the correct place.

I keep the receipt with me in the plane in case I ever need it. Blast tube on the diode pack, same as you.

It has served me well for 6 yrs now on my VFR plane. I don't think you are crazy........

Last edited:
Same unit I put on my -10. Not flying yet but I did modify the diode shroud and put on a 1" blast tube flange with scatt to the ramp.. Anyone know where I can get the electrical plug for it? Van's no longer carries the part.:confused:

Connector

Same unit I put on my -10. Not flying yet but I did modify the diode shroud and put on a 1" blast tube flange with scatt to the ramp.. Anyone know where I can get the electrical plug for it? Van's no longer carries the part.:confused:

Try here

I am SO GLAD to see this thread. The Lycoming O-360-A4A that I just acquired didn't come with an alternator. I'm going to need one, and I'm going to see if I can find one of these. Where do you get the bracket(s) and so on that mount on the engine?

removed suzuki alternator and installed B&C

I have the brackets for the suzuki alternator. the B&C brackets are more robust and better designed. it has been reported that once the suzuki alternator is on-line, switching the alternator field off does not shut down the alternator. I have not confirmed this but am interested to know. when I get the time I'll run a test.

Dan I couldn't agree more with your thinking. Locally sourced parts on items that do wear is much better than paying lots of $$ for "aviation quality" parts.

I'm restoring a Comanche 250 and I just filled out an FAA 337 form to put one of these small alternators in it. The only other game in town is a Plane Power unit for $800 and there's no way I'd ever go that route.

I use the 12189N and had a bit over 1100 hours on it in my -6 and can confirm that A. it can be shut off in flight and B. it has a OV protection circuit in the regulator (I have a paper schematic in Japanese of the regulator.)

Last edited:
if it is comes from a samurai it sounds good to me, if it burns like 100LL and cost $2 less it sounds good to me, if it filters oil, cost $20 less, and comes from napa it sounds good to me, if it comes from vans, goes like ****, cost less, and is a blast to fly it sounds good to me. just got back from sebring with the guys, sounds good to me. my wingman finally got a call sign, falcon, he showed up with a sports shirt from his kids games that had falcon on it, he seems to like it, sounds good to me. now its time for lunch, SGTM. :)

But we're dealing with American-made electrons here...;)

of course! ;)

It has been a while since I looked at it but as I recall there was an IC used in the regulator that when I looked up the datasheet of that component, it had an OV protection feature.