I have a 1983 RV-4. My alternator and regulator died. The alternator was a 1977 honda civic alternator so that is what I replaced it with. My regulator is also not working. My problem is that the honda regulators that I am finding have a lead with 5 flat pins. My old regulator has a terminal for the field and a terminal for the reference voltage. Does anyone know where I can get a simple regulator with just a reference voltage input and a field output?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill.

Here is a picture of a Ford regulator on my RV6.
003da1.jpg

I believe the Ford VR 166 is a suitable replacement to function as you requested. Picture above is one of those or a look alike.
Number is off the top of my head.
Someone back me up on this part number please.

Last edited:
OK Im backing myself up after poking around some more.
Yes its a VR166. I dont know why these stupid part numbers retain in LT memory. Its the sign of too much RV maintenance!:eek:
See this thread.

OK Im backing myself up after poking around some more.
Yes its a VR166. I dont know why these stupid part numbers retain in LT memory. Its the sign of too much RV maintenance!:eek:
See this thread.

You may not be able to use VR166 at your local auto parts emporium, but just ask for a regulator for a 1975 Ford LTD. Mine has run flawlessly for nearly ten years.

Last edited:
Does the ford regulator specify which terminals are field and reference voltage etc?

Bill

Here are the connections for the 1975 Ford regulator:

"I" is not used
"A" goes to "S"
"S" goes to aircraft bus (12v)
"F" goes to alternator field

Be sure the case is electrically grounded.

Does the ford regulator specify which terminals are field and reference voltage etc?

Bill

The I terminal is not used.
The A and S terminal are jumped together and go to your alternator switch.
The F terminal goes to the alternator field

Thanks a million
I tested my alternator by running a jumper wire from the alternator terminal into the cockpit and momentarily touched it to a 12V led from my cig. lighter socket. Full fielding it gave me 15 volts. I have done this for years on cars as a way of testing alternators.

I am running a Mac, how do I put pictures on here?

Bill
RV-4
Angwin CA