colinr

I'm New Here
Hi Folks

For some while now we have had an intermittent charging problem on the RV6. I changed the alternator today for a like for like replacement. It is one of the original Vans supplied motor part (30/35 amp) sourced from a Toyota Starlet. The problem is still there which makes me think I will need to replace the control unit. The existing control box has no identifying marks on it .

Can any one help with a pointer in the direction of a suitable replacement control unit.

Thanks

Colin

Are you talking about the voltage regulator? Perhaps a picture of the "control unit" in question might help.

A good voltage regulator for homebuilts with 12vdc electrical systems (And nice avionics) is the B&C LR3C-14. Depending on the regulator you have now, you may have to revise your wiring to install it. But, B&C has pretty good install instructions and wiring diagram.

I would make sure your battery is in top shape. The Aero'lectric Connection has a great section on battery maintenance and testing.

Troubleshooting intermittent electrical distribution problems are tough. I tend to approach them with an inspect/clean/rework philosophy. I start at point A and inspect and clean the whole circuit. When I find a potential defect, I rework it and test the system. If the problem doesn't reappear, great. If it does, at least I have eliminated the cheap stuff before replacing expensive components.

Last edited:
From Vans 1998 catalog

ADJUSTABLE VOLTAGE REGULATOR
Different battery technologies require different charging voltages. This small, light 14v solid state unit adjusts easily. 6-32 threaded terminal.
PART NUMBER PRICE
ES M5-150A $45.00

FIXED VOLTAGE REGULATOR
Preset at factory for 13.8v.
PART NUMBER PRICE
ES VR-1751 $36.00

The first one -

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2013

The second one -

http://cn.oemol.com/oem/en_oem_detail/25287/VR1751/ACE ELECTRIC_VoltageRegulator.html

A Ford-type voltage regulator for a late 1970's LTD with 351 thru 460 V8 engine works great with these NipponDenso 35A alternators. From your local AutoZone, O'Reilley's, Pep Boys, etc parts store the "BWD Select" brand part# R400 is about $27. I put one on my RV-6 two years ago and it's working perfect (can't say that for my alternator's mounting brackets at the moment). My original Van's-supplied regulator (square silver metal case with one wire and one screw terminal) failed with only 250 hours on it. The terminals on the Ford-style regulator are labelled I A S and F. Connect it like this: (shamelessly swiped from one of Sam Buchanan's posts)

Wire it like this:

I -- no connection
A -- jumpered to "S"
S -- jumpered to "A", also connected to your alternator switch from the field CB
F -- connect to field terminal of your alternator
case -- securely bonded to ground (i.e. mount on firewall and insure good electrical bonding)

ASP Wholesale

I purchased the M150A from ASP a few weeks ago to have one on hand.

It is physically much smaller than the typical "Ford style" VR, and is also adjustable via a little pot on the back side.

...... My original Van's-supplied regulator (square silver metal case with one wire and one screw terminal) failed with only 250 hours on it. ....

That Vans one is a mechanical device, at least the Vans smaller adjustable M5-150A unit is solid state. :)

Many thanks to everyone who has replied.
I think I think I will need to do a rewire job as the existing VR is not like any shown. I can't get a photo at the moment as the a/c is in the hangar 25miles away, but can only describe it as a totally encapsulated unit without any terminals but with flying leads coming from it.
I think I will go for the VR166 solution if I can find one on my side of the Atlantic.

Many thanks to everyone who has replied.
I think I think I will need to do a rewire job as the existing VR is not like any shown. I can't get a photo at the moment as the a/c is in the hangar 25miles away, but can only describe it as a totally encapsulated unit without any terminals but with flying leads coming from it.
I think I will go for the VR166 solution if I can find one on my side of the Atlantic.

Would it be this one from Vans?

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2013

IIRC when I got it from Vans the connectors shown in the picture were already cut off and it just had flying leads.