Jrskygod

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm installing a Vans 60 A alternator kit. It is the kit they used to supply with the rebuilt (non plane power) alternator. The mounting bracket and adjusting arm are aluminum. I know these have been in the field for some time so has anyone had problems with these aluminum mounts cracking or breaking?

I have read everything about the alternator and their service history but have not seen any comments about the mounting brackets.

Thanks

I just had to replace the aluminum brackets on mine. the tension arm broke in two. The main boss bracket had a crack from the front bolt hole to the edge. From what info I've been able to gather is that the aluminum alternator brackets are all 100℅ doomed to fail and I was lucky mine lasted 400 hours.

The new brackets from Van's are made of steel. I bought a set of these but the belt alignment with the 35 amp Honda Civic Nippon Denso alternator is not perfect... needed to lengthen the elongated holes in the front bracket half some more to get the belt to line up straighter. This bracket kit is supposed to fit the 60A ND alternators (Suzuki Samurai) fine with no mods needed, except that you must drill the rear pivot hole yourself no matter which alternator you use.

Last edited:
I just had to replace the aluminum brackets on mine. the tension arm broke in two. The main boss bracket had a crack from the front bolt hole to the edge. From what info I've been able to gather is that the aluminum alternator brackets are all 100℅ doomed to fail and I was lucky mine lasted 400 hours.

I've never had the aluminum bracket fail - and I've got nearly 1800 hours on the RV-8. I can't imagine a tension arm that isn't steel of course, and I have had original Lycoming steel brackets fail when bolts loosened up and holes got wallowed out.

Not saying the aluminum brackets won't fail, but I think they work fine if properly aligned and the bolts are tightened - and safetied.

Paul