airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I got the Plane Power alternator kit from Vans to put on my IO360 and cannot figure out for the life of me how to mount that rascal. There are no drawings that I've found indicating where to bolt the brackets to, looking at it I'm guessing there is one bolt hole on the block (forward facing, behind the flywheel) and another on the starter that I'll end up using, but I'm just having trouble picturing it.

A picture being worth a thousand words and all that, I was hoping someone would have a few shots to share...

Thanks in advance....

Alternator

You can find a pictorial online from Plane Power. IF you have a wide deck engine the U shaped bracket bolts to the bottom right of the crankcase with the slotted hole aft. There is a lock plate that goes under these two bolts or you can use washers and safety wire bolts. The long bolt goes thru this bracket and the alternator. There is a short offset link that goes from the front of the long bolt to the starter. The long adjustor link goes to a hole on the right front of the case and the slotted hole goes to the alternator. There have been numerous posts on belt adjustment.
The main terminal is metric but a 1/4" ring terminal will fit fairly well. Main wire should be from #6 to #10 depending on alternator output. #10 is adequate for the 60 amp experimental alt. Red wire from plug goes to field swith/ cb. Other wires are optional.

Instructions

Go to plane-power.com-select installation instructions,scroll down the page and you will find the choices for various alternator models, click on the model number and that will bring up the instructions.

Case mount

Greg, I looked at your engine install photos, you have a narrow deck engine that requires a "case" mount alternator bracket. Hope you knew that when you ordered your alternator kit.