Lionclaw

Well Known Member
This seems like a dumb question, but I have to ask anyway :eek:

I decided to use an 87 suzuki samurai alternator on my build, and I'm trying to figure out which bolts are used to mount it. The bolt holes on the alternator measure .335" or 8.52mm. An 8mm bolt (.315") seems a bit sloppy. Does someone make an 8.5mm bolt? Or 21/64"?

Why not make a thin sleeve bushing so you can use a 5/16" bolt? Or just drill out the mounting holes to 3/8"?

My experience with these alternators is the bolt holes will elongate if they're loose.

alternator warranty?

andy, i have been using the 87 suzuki alt for 10 years. been thru a bunch of them. it had a life time warranty back then. what kind of warranty did you get on the new one?

Lifetime as well, from Autozone. Do you recall what size bolts you used?

I was hoping to not have to modify the alternator. It would be nice to just be able to pick up a stock unit if I'm out somewhere and install it without having to modify it first.

alternator

i am out of the country now but dont recall a problem with bolt size. get the largest that will fit then crank em down. the metal insert in the alt bracket will help secure the alt when tightened. the right smallest size belt will keep the alt from hitting the cowl. turbo