RV8R999

Well Known Member
I've trim, fit and installed both upper and lower cowls using the skybolt RV8 kit - which is really nice BTW.

I'm very pleased with the fit both at the spinner and firewall. However, there is no way my 60A Prestolite ALT will clear the lower cowl. I had to losen it and move it up about 1.5" just to clear the lower cowl.

This will work fine as long as there exists a smaller ALT belt??? Spruce only list belts for Lycoming or Cont without regard to size of the belt.

Has anyone else had this issue?

here is a pic:
beyn9z.jpg

You are correct!

Van's cowlings are designed for smaller alternators. Standard aircraft alternators will not fit.
You might be able to get it in with a shorter belt, but even then, clearance will be so close that a few "G"s will likely cause it to rub a hole in the cowling.

Thanks Mel! Did not know that was the case. When you say smaller do you mean lower rating as in 40A or smaller as in different design but same rating? Can you recommend one that is externally regulated (since I'm all wired up for that). Thanks!

Ken

Cowling bump

I (and many others) have had the same problem with the alternator and pulley clearance with the cowling. Here's a picture of my RV-7 cowling. Notice the bump where the alternator pulley is... It's about 3" round by about 3/4" deep to give clearance for the pulley.
16659_1301864671305_1371100627_883666_7158547_n.jpg

Short Belt

I haven't tried to fit my cowl yet, but after reading several threads on this issue, I went to the local auto parts store and bought three belts, a half inch apart. I think they were a 34, 34 1/2. and a 35 length (ask first, but they should let you return the ones you don't need and they are only about $8 each).
Use the shortest one you can, even if it means loosening the rear of the alternator to get it on. The one I chose requires this assembly, and the alternator is just about at the top of the support arm bracket.
I anticipate attaching an adjustable extension to that support arm (or perhaps the bracket I made that goes between the alternator and starter) to use as a "snubber" to keep the cowl from riding up on the alternator pulley under load.

Don

I have a Prestolite 70 amp alternator in my 180 hp 6A... Yep!...It rubbed and made a hole/slot in the lower cowl... I found a shorter belt (but not by much) but enough to do the trick... I also took off the fan on the alternator and cut and filled off the lower/front part of the alternator that was behind the fan.... Which was the part that hit the cowl... I made an air cooling system to make up whatever cooling the fan was able to do (I hope)....
But, 600 hrs without any problems... Ok..blast away at my fix..

Plane Power

The Plane Power units are smaller and fit tighter to the engine.
and come with the correct belt too.
Good Luck.

Thanks Mel! Did not know that was the case. When you say smaller do you mean lower rating as in 40A or smaller as in different design but same rating? Can you recommend one that is externally regulated (since I'm all wired up for that). Thanks!
Ken
Actually there are quite a few smaller alternators out there.
I'm running a 60 amp unit that is quite small. I think it is from a Hyundai. Mark Landoll from Oklahoma, City supplied mine.