Brian Vickers

Well Known Member
I'm sorting through the opening chapter of my RV4 build project electrical system. My Enigma does not provide for alternator metering but does monitor primary and backup battery voltage. I am basing my system on AeroElectric Connection Figure (schematic) Z-11. Bob's system has an alternator load meter in the design. Is another option to use a Van's alternator warning light; maybe both? I am trying to keep things very simple VFR, but safe. As Stein says, this bird is a $100 hamburger getter. Any counseling or advice would be appreciated. I'm a confident metal craftsman but a little self conscience about my fledgling electric skills and knowledge.

Sincerely,
Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing ? on beautiful Bainbridge Island, WA

Personally, I find the load meter of marginal value during normal flight operations. I assume the warning light you are referring to is from your alternator controller to tell you that the alternator is no longer charging your battery. That's the light that I think is most important. In your case for simple VFR, it will tell you that you're running on the battery. Simply land and correct. The load meter is useful when the light comes on so you can cut your electrical load to a minimum, but again, if you are simple VFR, it's not that critical.

BTW, if you wire up a warning light, I highly encourage you to use a LED light and wire it up using resistors per Bob's diagrams. In direct sunlight, it is easy to miss a lighted incandescent bulb. My LED lights are impossible to miss when on.

I agree with Randy - voltage alone pretty much tells me that the system is healthy or not, and when it's not, then the ammeter is really useful for managing the load shed...

Paul

Voltmeter...

A voltmeter with some kind of low voltage warning is all you really need. I have an amp meter in the system so I can see what the battery charge/system current is doing just to keep an eye on things but it's not really necessary.

Anyone think of using one of these watt meters? The price cant be beat for the information they give. I use one on my Ham Radio rig and it works great.

The Van's light works well. Flashes bright red for 30 seconds when encountering low voltage, then goes solid red. Also works as a good reminder to flip the master switch off.

Requires a square hole to mount, and is easier in the un-finished stage. The plastic bezel has two tabs which are suppose to be melted with a soldering iron on the backside of the panel.

This was impossible for me; and I ended up drilling to small screw holes into the panel and tapped them.

You do need to use the LED that comes with the unit, as it contains a small circuit board on the back.

I also have a voltage meter, as well as the ammeter.

L.Adamson