mustangbob51

Well Known Member
help folks,
i have an IO 360 B1B and it appears to have no mounting pad on the right side engine case to mount the alternator. has anyone else out there had this engine combination and can tell me how you mounted an alternator to this engine?

I think your style case need the bracket that uses the through bolts to mount it,vans lists both styles in their catalog,boss mount or case mount,you would need the case mount.Bob

This picture...

I think your style case need the bracket that uses the through bolts to mount it,vans lists both styles in their catalog,boss mount or case mount,you would need the case mount.Bob

...might help.

CaseMount.jpg

It is a bracket for the case mount Bob mentions.

The alternate later Lycomings version is a boss mount, with this hardware.

BossMount.jpg

A thanks to B&C for the pictures - they really are worth a 1000 words.

Last edited:
I used one of the mount types similar to the one shown in Gil's pictures. Mine came from Van's in the FWF kit. There is actually a third bracket, this attaches to the inboard pivot point and to the starter. My engine was purchased in late 2004 from Aerosport Power and the alternator is a 60 amp from Van's.

Yep, and be aware if you substitute a B&C starter the third bracket won't fit. I had to make a shorter one. I called Plane Power about it and they said the B&C starter is the only starter they can not accommodate at this time.

That little strap...

I used one of the mount types similar to the one shown in Gil's pictures. Mine came from Van's in the FWF kit. There is actually a third bracket, this attaches to the inboard pivot point and to the starter. My engine was purchased in late 2004 from Aerosport Power and the alternator is a 60 amp from Van's.

Pictures at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mvandeb/AirplaneConstruction?feat=directlink

...from the starter to the alternator pivot bolt is a Lycoming part, and seems to come in two flavors for our O-360's.

Part number is 74323 or a 76908 - and some Lycoming models seem to allow either part number. Same part numbers on the O-320s

They are around $15 for a new Lycoming one from AERO.

thanks to all

once again the community comes to the rescue of another builder. thanks for all the replies and i will be ordering some bracketry for my 360, and then work on the next problem (where to find a cheap new 4370 slick magneto) and "make this airplane fly" (hardy kruger, flight of the phoenix)!