[email protected]

Well Known Member
I have / had the Vans 35 amp alt in my RV6A, well 3 weeks ago I lost the alt. I ordered a new (Rebuilt) one from Vans but they advise me they do not have any in stock and may not get them for several weeks.....Ah Oskosh. I have looked every where for a replacement that will not mean making a new mount but have had no luck... Does anyone know of a replacement which will fit the old mount or someone who sells the same alt.. I cant even find a part number other than Vans?

Thanks

Local rebuilder?

Don't know about the 35A unit but some (most?) of the standard 'Vans' stuff is NipponDenso used on Japanese cars. Pull it off and take it to a local rebuilder (YellowPages under Starters/Alternators/Auto Parts Rebuilders). The one I've used in Dallas can do it while-you-wait in many cases.

Don't tell them its for an airplane.

Last edited:
I have / had the Vans 35 amp alt in my RV6A, well 3 weeks ago I lost the alt. I ordered a new (Rebuilt) one from Vans but they advise me they do not have any in stock and may not get them for several weeks.....Ah Oskosh. I have looked every where for a replacement that will not mean making a new mount but have had no luck... Does anyone know of a replacement which will fit the old mount or someone who sells the same alt.. I cant even find a part number other than Vans?

Thanks

The alternator is a NipponDenso as used on 1976-1979 Honda Civic CVCC without air conditioning. A common number you can find in Duralast and other reman alternators is 14184. The Beck/Arnley number is 186-0100. I knew I had the right unit when I checked Vans catalog and their part number for the 35amp alternator is 14184. I left the fan on the replacement alternator I bought three years ago at the local Advance Auto Parts.

Upgrade

Why not up grade to a newer Suzuki Samurai Lester # 14684. It will have more out put, you can get rid of the Ext Reg with all the wires and it should last longer, plus it's rated at 55 amps not 35 amps.