Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I had a hard time figuring out how to route cable from the alternator to my ammeter shunt on the firewall. Here's the snake like approach that I took. Does it look alright?

8LevSjn.jpg

Thanks,
Michael-

wiring

Most Pipers route the battery cable along the crancase/sump junction on the left side using adel clamps and a couple of the sump bolts. This would be an eccellent routing for the alternator wires but on the right side.
Your persent routing is too close to the exhaust in my opinion. It also appears that your tailpipe support will allow the tailpipe to move too much. I had a similar setup on my Pitts and welded the clamps to the tailpipes which prevented rotational movement and worked well.

Any time you can run wires/cables etc. inline with existing objects like motor mounts, the less you need to reach through a web of wires to perform maintenance.

My cables from the alternator and starter, were ran down the alternator side of the pan bolts to the motor mount and then split up according to where they were headed following the motor mount tubing.

Later when you go to change the oil filter, time a mag, work on prop gov or vac (ugh!) pump, you will appreciate the extra clear space. Put in the extra time now, and be rewarded every time you go to work in there.

This applies to everything that you add to the motor that must reach the firewall except your throttle, mixture and prop cables. Fuel lines are usually low enough to be out of the way. But think about them also. It's all about gaining access in the future.

Do you have enough slack in the wire that when the engine rocks a bit in the mounts that there won't be a problem?

Dan