WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Flying back to the Central Valley from Eureka area today I noticed my engine monitor starting to flicker then go out. I was half hoping it had died on me so I'd be forced to put in the Dynon EMS like I've been want to for some time, but then the ICS started getting fuzzy and low. This cued me into pulling up my volt meter, which by that point was 10.8V and dropping. Strobes, and most avionics off it jumped to 11 and stabilized around 11.3. Couldn't get it much higher than that. Seemed like the alt was barely making a charge. Took the battery (PC680) to the local pep boys and it tested good, just needed a charge. Other than checking the belt and no obvious loose connections, it sounds like an obvious alternator gone bad correct?

If so, I have yet to deal with this...suggestions on good yet reasonably priced alternators, where to get, core charge? What'll this run me? Gotchas with swapping out?

Thanks guys!

If it were me, I would start with the cheapest, easiest fixes first, such as loose connections, bad switches, or even a bad regulator.

Or better yet, do a thorough troubleshooting sequence to determine the problem before throwing expensive parts at it. ;)

Alt Bad

Tested the battery - good. Tested the alternator - came back bad. It's an un defined car alternator. Any suggestions what and where to get one or should I just go with the standard Vans Plane Power alternator?